GENESIS CARIBOU + ON ONE FATTY + ELECTRIC MOTORS = 2x :-)

Re:

First test ride went well today! :LOL: Covered about 7 miles of medium difficulty.

Notice how the battery only just fits into the wee frame - bit of a squeeze slotting it onto its mount.

:xmas-big-grin:

Attachments

• 20161106_163311_1478470220959_resized - Copy.jpg
    20161106_163311_1478470220959_resized - Copy.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 1,134
Re:

The mkII is now finished! It's an On One Fatty 26" X 4" wheel. :D It has a less powerful motor, the battery is in the frame bag. It's loads lighter (but slower) than the Genesis due to the smaller motor and battery, and the frame being alloy, fork carbon. I couldn't decide how to mount the battery on this one. The frame is really small and the other battery only just fitted in the Genesis. I thought about rack mounted batteries and Seatpost mounted ones. In the end I opted to take a standard battery out of it's plastic case and sort the loom. It all fits nicely (with the controller) into the frame bag and at a quick glance doesn't look like motorised steed. I've only tested it up and down the road so far but it all seems to be working well.

Attachments

• 20170317_133503_1489787353593_resized - Copy.jpg
    20170317_133503_1489787353593_resized - Copy.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 1,046
  • 20170317_133453(0)_1489787352709_resized - Copy.jpg
    20170317_133453(0)_1489787352709_resized - Copy.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 1,046
Re: Re:

tiboltrider":17jde1he said:
1. I bought some purple bolts and 2nd hand Deore cable pull calipers. I've got to use cable pull calipers as the supplied brake levers have a cut out to the motor. I've still either got to fit a 160mm disc or change the mount.

4. XT thumbie fitted. I tried a couple of different RF+ shifters but they wouldn't have worked with the twist grip throttle (anyways screw on rear block is 7 speed). Also purple top cap, speedo monitor and suitably named handle bar.

Nice work. A couple of points from when I built my electric Felt hardtail that you may find helpful.

For the brake cut out, I used a very neat inline pressure switch tapped into the hydraulic brake lines and allows you to use proper disc brakes. I have a spare one kicking around here someplace.

For gear changing, I mounted a SRAM twistgrip shifter on the left bar.

GSB":2dlts9lr said:
Nice work. A couple of points from when I built my electric Felt hardtail that you may find helpful.

For the brake cut out, I used a very neat inline pressure switch tapped into the hydraulic brake lines and allows you to use proper disc brakes. I have a spare one kicking around here someplace.

For gear changing, I mounted a SRAM twistgrip shifter on the left bar.

Hi. Thanks for the feedback and cool build thread. Do you still have your bike? Any problems with long term use?

That brake cut out switch sounds cool - I think I may try that if I ever build a faster one. The cable pull brakes actually aren't as bad as I thought they were going to be though. I may just fit a bigger rotor on the front of the orange bike sometime - it was getting a tad warm on the last ride.

The r/h gripshift mounted l/h also sounds good. It sounds like a really good way of getting over the lack of space problem on the right side. I've just removed a rapid rise rear mech though which was annoying enough on one of the other bikes. The r/h thumbie, on the white bike, only just catches the twist grip throttle and works ok.

:D

Re:

Yes, I've still got it, although I dont use it that often. The centre drive works well and means there's a huge choice of gearing and speed capability, and it's very efficiient, but it also means it's hard on transmission parts, particularly chains. I snapped one last summer climbing the steps up to a set of lock gates by Abbey Mills. The only other issues are the motor controller overheating at full power (solved by putting it out in the airflow) and the freewheel in the centre of the cranks disintigrating which was solved by using an ACS Crossfire freewheel instead of the cheap Chinese crap the cranks came with.

Currently though, I'm waiting on a new 70volt charger. I periodically put the battery on charge when I'm not using it, but last time the charger got a bit damp, and blew up.

Re:

Thanks for that linky. I did have a go on a mid-drive pro bike company built bike and it was nice and smooth. But I soon got bored with it when it cut out at the 15 mph limit. It'll be cool to see how technology advances over the next few years and the prices should drop loads! Hopefully one day a Stealth Bomber Bike will be within my reach! :LOL:

tiboltrider":3og56nk5 said:
I did have a go on a mid-drive pro bike company built bike and it was nice and smooth. But I soon got bored with it when it cut out at the 15 mph limit. l:

I thought they are restricted to 15 mph otherwise classed as moped so would need road tax and insurance (mot too?).

02gf74":2q48apqs said:
tiboltrider":2q48apqs said:
I did have a go on a mid-drive pro bike company built bike and it was nice and smooth. But I soon got bored with it when it cut out at the 15 mph limit. l:

I thought they are restricted to 15 mph otherwise classed as moped so would need road tax and insurance (mot too?).

They certainly are. Restricted to 15MPH and 250Watts, but it's not easy to implement. I achieved this on my home built bike by using speed and current/voltage sensors feeding into a supervising control computer. The computer intercepts the twist throttle demand signal and backs off the throttle so the limits aren't exceeded. You can of course turn these up for more power/less range, or even turn them off entirely for off road use, when the full 1200watts (about 1.6hp) can be used.

Re:

Quick update. I've been out playing in the snow tonight >>>

The pictures show Oldway Mansion (rear view) original home to the Singer sewing machine family, and Paignton Pier.

Main changes are slightly narrower tyres - Surly 3.8" instead of On One 4.0" - for slightly more seatstay clearance, and bigger floating rotors - I had to change the front caliper 'cos I couldn't get the right mount to make the old Deore caliper to fit. The motor and battery are still working as they should.

Attachments

• 20180318_185633_1521404910004_resized - Copy2.jpg
    20180318_185633_1521404910004_resized - Copy2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 628
  • 20180318_184831_1521404919369_resized - Copy2.jpg
    20180318_184831_1521404919369_resized - Copy2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 628
Back