Kona Hot 1997

Re: Kona Hot 1997 - 7th heaven

Ah, i can see it now :?

Anyway, your hot decal looks wonky :LOL:

I would imagine as its not full 853 that the stays were still some grade of Reynolds, maybe even two, for better climbing/strength etc.

Looking forward to you building this, maybe with some custom painted forks? and even though its too big, i would still like to own it :cool:

Mark

mkone":1oqwpkjb said:
Anyway, your hot decal looks wonky :LOL:

:?:

mkone":1oqwpkjb said:
I would imagine as its not full 853 that the stays were still some grade of Reynolds, maybe even two, for better climbing/strength etc.

Looking forward to you building this, maybe with some custom painted forks?

I'd love someone with deep knowledge of tube-sets to take a look to see if they could decipher what was used.

As for forks, the frame is the star so I'll fit a pair that aesthetically complement and meet my riding needs. Good old Z2s!

al-onestare":2txys4hq said:
I'd love someone with deep knowledge of tube-sets to take a look to see if they could decipher what was used.
I tried similar research after you found and organized the sale for me of my 1998 Hodaka Taiwanese built Hot.

There is the possibility that all 8 tubes were 853 in the Hodaka frames similar to the claim made by JeffB for the Enigma built frames.

As Mark (and Anthony) point out, having 853 throughout may not necessarily make for a "better" frame with regards to power transfer for climbing and acceleration.

Anyway, I only have my 1997 Explosif to compare with as we thought that my 1998 Hot could be a Franken-frame made of 853 front with a Columbus rear end - which it is not. I didn't have a known 725 rear end frame to compare with, so with only a Micrometer at my disposal, I didn't really conclude very much.

Pip.

AL-one... :cool: mate lovely find and great research..been away for a bit, Spoke to Pip yesterday..he told about this beauty..standing by for updates. :D

Ernie ;)

Re:

Love the look of this frame :cool: . Maybe i missed it bit id like to see a ride report after a few iffy reviews on 853 :D

A key part of the build has been located, serviced and set-up for my riding style. It's heading this way :D

nCxX1w.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Mark is THE MAN!

https://www.mtbforksbymark.com/

al-onestare":10sxyoqp said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Mark is THE MAN!

thanks Al :D

mark

Re:

Ok, please forgive me for I have sinned.

I had to buy something from granniegear.

tenor.gif

You might have noticed that the frame didn't come with a dog collar. The "glory" years of 2008/9/10 when the market was awash with components has long gone. I'd been waiting (and searching) for a decent one for months when one came up for sale on ebay a few weeks back. It was an earlier version in the lighter grey but I was ok with it. Sod's law, 2 weeks later another one comes up in the gun-metallic right colour...but it was from you know who.

I feel dirty... ;)

Re:

:LOL: ^^

given how long he's been going I'm sure you can't be the only one whose guilty of a little transgression and lined the pockets of G.G

that said the guy is only filling a gap in the market, even if he does hold you to ransom on his pricing
the thing is will you always look at the collar with a slight distain knowing where it came from ?

Back