End to End Build AND Ride

Re: End to End Build

Was at a loose end yesterday afternoon so spent an hour doing a first draft on the gears.

First issue was the chain... This is a dedicated touring frame so the chainstays are really long... Started with a 114 link chain which didn't quite meet using the big/big +2 method and was obviously out.

Out came a 116 chain which just made it. I may try to find a 118 for actual riding as the rear mech is a long cage and combined with the clutch will take care of a couple of extra links with ease so I shouldn't need to worry about chain slap. The 116 can stay on just now though.

The front mech was cabled and up and running after a couple of minutes, requiring only a tiny adjustment of the limit screws as I had done the height and alignment when it was fitted.

The rear mech took a bit more effort... There's no cable adjuster on the X0 rear derailleur, so I used a Campag inline adjuster to work with the barrel adjuster on the frame stops. A couple of trims to outer were needed until I was happy. At the other end it took about 6 trims of the outer before I was happy... And I'm still not 100%... As you can see from the pic below it's got a fairly steep curve in it.

The reason for this is the cable entry angle on the mech... I'm not used to mountain bike kit, so maybe this is normal, but I've never ever trimmed so much off a rear mech cable outer. Once it was cabled though, it took less than 5 minutes to get it indexed across all gears.

This time round, I'm using alloy-levered Centaur ergos with the SRAM rear mech and the shifting in the workstand is absolutely flawless. Once the limit screws were set and the tension dialled in it clicked up and down as if it was made to rather than a hybrid of two manufacturers.

Unfortunately, it wasn't all perfect... The right hand shifter lost its grip on the index ring causing the downshift lever to move without shifting. I'll need to strip and rebuild the shifter with new g-springs and carrier.

It's chucking it down here today so it'll be tomorrow at the earliest until the grand TAH-DA! Photoshoot.

Attachments

• PhotoPictureResizer_180310_081701453-768x1024.jpg
    PhotoPictureResizer_180310_081701453-768x1024.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 1,009
Re:

That cable entry is optimised for top tube and seat stay routing, looks good though,

I am considering a Stam-Campag 10 speed set up instead of my current 8 speed Shim-ergo.

Aha... that makes sense.

I've had a look at images of X0 equipped bikes and those with chainstay cabling were all set up with very little curvature in the cable run at the mech.

I'll trim some more off when I put it back together after the shifter rebuild.

I can highly recommended the SRAMpagnolo blend. I've had it running as an experiment on my commuter since September and its been absolute fine. That was using an Apex rear mech which are at best decidedly average.

Rebuilding the right lever took all of 15 minutes. They were eBay specials and it looks like the lever was recently serviced by someone that didn't really know what they were doing as there was white teflon grease and some filthy lube all over the inside.

The carrier and g springs looked pretty new but I changed them anyway.

Hopefully, that'll be 10,000 miles of flawless service ahead!

what route are you taking ?

would be good to perhaps join you for a few miles

I'm taking in Cheddar Gorge then heading for the Clifton Suspension Bridge, Severn Bridge and then up the lower Wye Valley for an overnight around Symonds Yat.

The next day's destination is Bishop's Castle. I've not finalised the route yet, but thought I'd go for a coffee in Ross on Wye before striking North.

More than happy to have some company. A couple of the NW guys are threatening to join me further up 'road.

Finished the build this morning, although it wasn't without a few minor traumas...

Transplanting mudguards proved to be extremely frustrating and time consuming as I had to completely refit them and replace more than half the rivets as two months of commuting on salted roads had rotted the originals.

I'll try to get a replacement set in cream, but given I had to import these ones last year, it might need to be silver ones.

Anyway... The finished article...

Saddled up this afternoon with a bunch of flowers in a pannier bag and had a fun if chilly 40 mile round trip to tick the "dutiful son on Mother's Day" box.

Really nice bike to ride. Jumped on and the only sound coming from the wheels was the ratcheting freehub...which is always good to hear when you've built your own wheels.

The SRAMpagnolo mix worked perfectly. No mis-shifts or ghosting, and no trimming required to sort out over or under shifts as none happened.

Not quite dialled in saddle or bar height and position yet and I'm not sure about stem length... But that can be addressed over the next couple of rides.

Attachments

• PhotoPictureResizer_180311_202847899-768x1024.jpg
    PhotoPictureResizer_180311_202847899-768x1024.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 948
  • PhotoPictureResizer_180311_203016948-1024x768.jpg
    PhotoPictureResizer_180311_203016948-1024x768.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 948

jackosbournesnr":1z6zpolc said:
I'm taking in Cheddar Gorge then heading for the Clifton Suspension Bridge, Severn Bridge and then up the lower Wye Valley for an overnight around Symonds Yat.

The next day's destination is Bishop's Castle. I've not finalised the route yet, but thought I'd go for a coffee in Ross on Wye before striking North.

More than happy to have some company. A couple of the NW guys are threatening to join me further up 'road.

Jesus ..... and that’s a day of West Country icons from the ice age through to the 1960, via a spot of Victorian Engineering at its finest.

Cheddar Gorge.... world heritage site
Brunells Suspension Bridge... amazing views and iconic picture backdrop
1st Severn Crossing into Wales (gotta stand midway for a snap of two)

If you don’t mind I’d love to ride the Gorge with you.... would you mind ?

just don't plan to ride it on a Sunday or you might meet these guys

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJEr5LjSZr8[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21IHfXeaEDU[/youtube]

Actually the Welsh side isn’t to be sniffed at, the Wye and Symmonds Yat is very nice with stunning scenery,

You’ve pick a great route

More than happy for you to join me so long as you don't mind going reasonably slow!

The Cheddar Gorge day is booked in for Thursday the 17th of May. I'd be in Cheddar village for around 10 am.

I'm happy for anyone from the SW area group to join in anywhere along the route. I know I'm not riding retro... But at least it's steel!

Back