Newbie - Problem with M950 Ti Cassette

Kneedowndean

Retro Guru
Hi all, I heard about this from the guys at the Proflex Forum. I ride a 1996 Proflex Beast, and I'm really struggling with my XTR M950 Cassette. Bike was working fine but I decided to upgrade to XTR MEch, TI Cassette Middleburn Cranks and SRAM Chain. Now its constanly jumping in the highest(little cog), it feels like it would if the chain or cassette was worn out. So every time I put the power down it jumps, its incredibly annoying. Do I need a specific chain for this cassette? I think its a SRAM 8 speed chain, new. I changed back to my XT mech as it seemed that the XTR didn't have enough adjustment down towards the lower cogs. Help would be appretiated, as it is making me wanna smash my bike! Thanks, Steve

Attachments

• PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 2,725
Hi Kneedowndean,

Welcome!

I can tell I use a Sachs Sedis on that cassette on my Yo and it works fine.

Sometimes really mysterious things happen. About 10yrs ago I put a new Sedis on new 8s XT cassette and everytime I took the bike out for a ride, the 1st 2kms everything was fine, but after that things changed rapidly and within a few hundred meters the chain jumped multiple times in 1 crank rotation! No matter what force I put on it. I simply put another chain on and that 1 is still going strong :cool:

- Melvin

This is the 2nd chain. 1st one was an 8 speed wipperman, that jumped straight away but there are reporsts these did that. So then bough an 8 speed SRAM. Think maybe I'll try a Shimano one, what is the model number for this cassette? Is it the HG90 Chain?

Hi Steve, Orange from Proflex forum here, I had the same problem with a SRAM chain that was brand new - it just didn't want to work with Shimano... kept on jumping

how old is the cassette? it wont mesh well with a new chain.

as for jumping in small cog, if you have a workstand, spin the cranks in that gear, with a screwdriver on the limit adjuster, tweaking it, intill its completly silent. (you gota do this in a quiet place!)

sometimes you get jumping in the higher gears, due to the chain passing over a much lower amount of teeth, so the tuning has to be spot-on.

Both Chain and Cassette are brand new. This is why I cant understand it, cos its acting like its worn. I have adjusted the limit screws fine, and tried another chain. I think I'll have one last try with a new chain, maybe a shimano one. Is it the HG90 chain I need or the IG90?

Both Chain and Cassette are brand new. This is why I cant understand it, cos its acting like its worn. I have adjusted the limit screws fine, and tried another chain. I think I'll have one last try with a new chain, maybe a shimano one. Is it the HG90 chain I need or the IG90?

fiddle with the mech tesion screw, large screwhead hidden inside mech

SORRY 9 MONTH OLD HELPER STOPS ME TYPING MORE FYILM,,./,./KN

Back