parts bin 1990 Fire Mountain - Updated 28/12

mynchiboy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Here's my latest little project that I'm lashing together. Brief back story is that I acquired this several months after spotting it on the roof of a shipping crate, which in turn was a venue props storage area (with permission of course!). Sadly there had been some efforts to saw seatpost and stem off, leaving this mess below :(

My plan is to try and get said seized bits out, probably by sawing and patience. The paint will be cleaned up but left in survivor state. Then I'm going to use up all the leftover the odds and sods I have lying around, so expect something of a united nations groupset. Fortunately I still have the U-brake at hand as well! More to follow...

Attachments

• FM1.jpg
    FM1.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 1,626
Re:

Success! Seatpost has been pretty much cut out. Bought a cheap replacement post online in the correct size, so all is sorted there.

Other additions are a set of good old mismatched wheels, a front Wolber (from a scrapped Cinder Cone) and rear Mavic on a modern hub - not ideal but it only cost £10 from a local seller and is brand new. It also allows use of a 8 speed cassette, to cover the shifters that I have in store.

The Panaracer tyres and tubes were from another bike split for spares ages ago, which suit the frame well.

Just need to carry on with the stem now :)

Attachments

• FM5.jpg
    FM5.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 1,501
  • FM4.jpg
    FM4.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 1,501
Re: parts bin 1990 Fire Mountain

The paint looks in good condition from here :cool: love the colours.

I dont envy you the job of getting the stem out :|

Re:

mkone":2bfc4ofy said:
The paint looks in good condition from here :cool: love the colours.

I dont envy you the job of getting the stem out :|

The paint is indeed pretty good on this one and still my favourite combination of the time, event though the bike is/was at the bottom of the Kona food chain. It's the third one I've rescued and by far the most splattered! This is also why I went down the sawing route rather than breaking the caustic out.

As for the stem, progress is being made, but the stem is steel, so it's really welded in. Below is my current weapon for removal, hopefully a few more cuts in daylight will see it out...fingers crossed ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4387.jpg
    IMG_4387.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 1,458
Re:

A little more progress today.

Haven't returned to the stem yet as I'm tooling up for another crack at it!

In the meantime I have cobbled together a suitable chainset, boasting a pair of sugino crank arms and some leftover shimano and suntour chainrings. doesn't look too bad...

Fingers crossed the stem will be out tonight :)

Attachments

• IMG_4392.JPG
    IMG_4392.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 1,355
Re:

Carried on pottering, but too dark to see outside by the time I got started :facepalm:

Front mech dug out, a Suntour XC Ltd one no less! Looks more tatty in the pictures, pesky flash...

Just treating the front hub to some new bearings and grease as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4402.jpg
    IMG_4402.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,270
  • IMG_4399.jpg
    IMG_4399.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,270
Re:

Fast forward and the Fire Mountain has morphed....into a Cinder Cone! It's grown a bit as well :D

The Fire Mountain is temporarily on the back burner as the fork has proved a real nightmare to sort...but I'm not giving up just yet!

Here is it as of this morning. Just cranks and front brake to sort out now...even the tyres sort of compliment it!

Attachments

• gate2.jpg
    gate2.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 987
  • gate3.jpg
    gate3.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 987
Re:

Almost done now! Just a set of replacement cranks to install and I'll be over the finish line :D

The stem lacked any inbuilt cable hanger and the Hatta headset didn't really work with the ones I had, so I bought one of the Tektro Force 40 style cable hangers. I've used one before and it worked very well.

Installation was a bit of a faff, until I reminded myself that the whole operation is based on the pads making contact with the rim - until then I had been trying to setup without pads installed :facepalm:

Attachments

• gate5.jpg
    gate5.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 885
  • gate4.jpg
    gate4.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 885
Re:

And...pretty much finished! Outside fence has had a lick of paint too :D

Chainset ended up being replaced with a M730 version, kindly sold to me by a member on here via a wanted ad. The only slight hitch is the suntour front mech won't adjust to fit the slightly wider q factor, so I might end up throwing another one on (I've either a Deore LX or DX one at hand).

I think it's come out all right for a (sort of) parts bin special...now on to the next project :twisted:

Attachments

• IMG_4852.jpg
    IMG_4852.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 754
Back