Misaligned Peugeot 753 frame - opinons

Re:

No way it was built like that, such wheel misalignment would never pass the beady eyes of the factory, qc, retailer AND first customer.
It’s bent and resprayed.. hmm.. personally i wouldn’t bother with it, there are too many good original frames around to be fixing bent ones, but... if for whatever reason you REALLY want to save it i suggest starting by completely stripping that frame to bare metal to find out it’s condition, it might have bends, dings, cracks or creases poorly ‘repaired’ and if so It might need tubes replaced or even be scrap. If a bare metal test shows its only problem is the misalignment and it seems salvagable then off to a frame builder for proper check, second opinion and alignment rectification.

Has that frame been whacked around or been stored at the bottom of a pile of heavy stuff when in storage... no signs of it being crashed...... or past repairs, replacement of tubes.......

Has that frame been whacked around or been stored at the bottom of a pile of heavy stuff when in storage... no signs of it being crashed...... or past repairs, replacement of tubes.......

Re:

No obvious signs of damage..though its certainly had a respray ar some point, reality is
, its 30 yrs old so not too disappointing.
It's now at a frame repairers, concensus is its totally repairable..though the brazing on the dropout will likely need to be heated up to allow it to pulled into line. Will pick up in 2 wks and let you know how it's looking.

The drop outs will set cold. Heating will ruin the chrome.
There is probably no other option, as I would suspect the drive side seat stay is around 4mm shorter than the left, for whatever reason, perhaps bending the drop out was an attempt to make it rideable.
Pure guesswork.

Keith

Its back! Basically the R/H rear dropout was heated to allow the frame to be pulled back into alignment, whilst the chrome has darkened in a small area...initial testing shows this will mostly polish out but the main objective, is the frame is now straight and ready for building up, I'll get a pic of the repair on here later. its cost me a fairly insignificant £35 and whilst it might've been easier to get hold of another frame....52cm high end Peugeots aren't exactly falling from trees these days. Besides, this was my dream frame back in the day - nostalgia picked the subject.
Thanks for the input All! :)

tarloone":fdesvf0j said:
Its back! Basically the R/H rear dropout was heated to allow the frame to be pulled back into alignment, whilst the chrome has darkened in a small area...initial testing shows this will mostly polish out but the main objective, is the frame is now straight and ready for building up, I'll get a pic of the repair on here later. its cost me a fairly insignificant £35 and whilst it might've been easier to get hold of another frame....52cm high end Peugeots aren't exactly falling from trees these days. Besides, this was my dream frame back in the day - nostalgia picked the subject.

So what was the framebuilder's opionion on what caused the misalignment - left the factory that way or was somehow bent in an accident/storage situation?

Jumphigher":13t9f91u said:
tarloone":13t9f91u said:

So what was the framebuilder's opionion on what caused the misalignment - left the factory that way or was somehow bent in an accident/storage situation?

It simply looks like careless storage damage..all tubes are intact and certainly nothing has been reheated until this repair...an odd one though :|
Anyhow, I've got a pretty mint 600 Ultegra groupset to go it, albeit with Dura Ace 7400 cranks, here it is fitted with the wheels - Open 4cd's on 600 ultegra hubs (funnily enough identical to the first set of proper wheels I ever had back in 1989!)
The 2nd pic shows the damage from the brazing, hopefully my polishing skills will help remedy this, though I'm not too concerned as this whole build by the time i've sold the surplus parts and donor bike bits will only have cost me £120...including the repair!

Attachments

• 20180213_161745.jpg
    20180213_161745.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 420
  • 20180213_161809.jpg
    20180213_161809.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 420
I'm glad it wasnt a factory defect. The repair doesnt look bad at all, I bet it will polish out, but it isnt even bad as is. That bike is from probably my favorite of Peugeot bikes, I think those years were their high point for racing frames.

Back