the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

Re:

Amazing Merlin :cool: That was my dream front set up but i couldnt find those WTB adapters. Those bars look nice a wide too, again another crazy impossible part to find.

Re:

The Salsa is a great looking bike! One is definitely on my list to own one day. I could do with a set of the DKG mounts, but I’m happy enough with the command shifters on my Fat Titanium.

I’m very happy with how the Merlin turned out. It might not be my rarest frame but it’s the bike with the most elusive parts. I’ve done well recently finding nice stuff!

I actually have a spare set of RM-2 bars. They’re fairly tatty but if you’re desperate, feel free to send a PM about them.

Cheers.

Re: Re:

iveto1983":33rrevza said:
I actually have a spare set of RM-2 bars. They’re fairly tatty but if you’re desperate, feel free to send a PM about them.

Cheers.

A year ago I would have snapped your hand off for them :facepalm: but i could not find the WTB adapter for love or money....i waited a ling time for two guys to refabricate them but it never happened :LOL: Then the dream died and I sold it all off, lovely Salsa P10 roller stem etc. The RM-2 bars i had were too narrow for me. Love to see your Ti FAT sometime :cool:

It's a shame you sold the parts you had, you never know when the final parts will turn up!

This is my Ti Fat. I may change the bar tape for black cloth and fit a black or white Flite instead, but otherwise I love it.

25337537227_dcb44231f7_b.jpg

28428874299_93992d4cb8_b.jpg

iveto1983":1e5nszso said:
It's a shame you sold the parts you had, you never know when the final parts will turn up!

This is my Ti Fat. I may change the bar tape for black cloth and fit a black or white Flite instead, but otherwise I love it.

25337537227_dcb44231f7_b.jpg

28428874299_93992d4cb8_b.jpg

Over a year constantly checking 10 different website and begging two fabricators to make some repros, along with a host if other desperates, finally took its toll :LOL: The insanity had to stop. Not seen this FAT Ti before.. Love your build & I need a pair of those tyres...

Re: Re:

iveto1983":2mwq5yt1 said:
Cheers! Yeah, the Bonty fork suits the frame well. It’s a titanium threaded steerer. This is the spec:

Frame: Merlin Titanium 19"
Fork: Bontrager Composite w/ titanium steerer
Headset: WTB / King Grease Guard silver

Stem: Salsa P7 ProMoto
Handlebar: WTB RM-2
Tape: Newbaum cloth tape w/ Cinelli gel pads
Shifters: Shimano Deore XT m732 w/ WTB Shifter Mounts
Brake Levers: Scott by Modolo w/ gum hoods

Brakes: Shimano Deore XT m732 silver front / black rear
Brake Pads: Scott Mathauser Superbrake
Cantilever cable hangers: Dia-Compe

Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT m735
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT m736
Cassette: Sachs-Maillard LY 91
Chain: Shimano HG70
Cranks: Cook Bros Racing RSR silver
Crank Bolts: TNT titanium / Cooks caps
Chainrings: Shimano SG C46/36/24
Bottom Bracket: PMW Titanium 125mm
Pedals: Shimano Deore XT m735

Hub Skewers: Suntour XC Pro
Rims: Campagnolo Stheno
Hubs: WTB Grease Guard
Tyres: Panaracer Timbuk II 26 x 2.0

Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo perforated
Seatpost: American Classic carbon
Seatpost Binder: Suntour XC Pro

That's really nice!

Bonty fork and what must be uber rare (at a guess) are the brake levers "Scott by Modolo w/ gum hoods".

Do you know if Scott targeted these for the MTB market or did they come in the whirlwind of Greg Lemond
around the late 80s?

Re:

Cheers guys, thanks for the kind words.

The Fat was quite different when I bought it, and has previously been owned by at least 3 other people on retrobike.

THM, yeah a P10 stem is perfect for a dirt drop build. The P7 on the Merlin is a little shorter than would be ideal, but it looks better, and beggars can’t be choosers!

I’m actually selling a 150mm long, 6° rise ProMoto that I’m now having second thoughts about. It would be easy to get it turned into a P10... I have some lovely 7403 levers and Suntour BarCons, so I have a cockpit waiting for another project.

The Scott levers were road marketed, I believe. You see them with the SuperBrake calipers now and again. I bought them because they matched the small orangey/brown details on the bike and are the same brand as the pads. I also had issues with the 7403 levers as the aero routing had a lot of friction, and the frame and forks only have 1 spring position on the bosses, so I couldn’t overcome the problem.

Re:

I hate this thread....making me regret selling off all the impossible to find again parts :facepalm:

Back