1986 Look TVT Frame

Retro Dan

Devout Dirtbag
Hi Guys,
I`m about to build up a 1986 La Vie Clare Look TVT, looking for a Look KG85 (maybe KG86) frame in 56/58 size - will be the done in the full `86 campag (not the `87 shimano) and would need the metal rear brake mount rather than the later TVT 92 carbon mount - anyone out there able to help?

Thanks, Dan.

Re:

Nice choice, Dan. I just built one with a 59cm frame. It rides like the wind!!

If you need a hand with anything then give me a shout.

Best of luck,

Craig

Re:

Oh yes, now we are talking - if you ever wish to sell....

In the meantime, my list of components required looks like:

TVT KG85/86 frame
C-record groupset
cinelli bar and stem (sorted)
Rolls saddle (sorted)
cobalto brakes
benoto bar tape
c-record bb

Not sure on the rims - guess Mavics?

Thanks, Dan.

I have one cobalto brake (rear one I guess?) that is missing some parts (brakeshoes and cable adjuster maybe?) but is in perfect condition otherwise. Could take pictures tomorrow. PM me if interested.

Re:

You could always go for Greg's 1990 bike instead . . .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253393453120?ul_noapp=true

Had a serious look (no pun..) at that one, tempted but I really like the La Vie Clare gear as well, and that `86 tour is just iconic.

Have just picked up a period Look TVT with Campag, waiting for it to arrive then strip down and start again...

Pics soon, Dan.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Quick question for Craig - what sort of ratios do you use - 7 speed on the back something like 12 - 22 and a 54 up front? (have 53 campag on the Pantani Bianchi and US Postal and they both top out too soon) also, how do you figure out which front fork is on there (the frame is only marked "carbon 7" (plus the usual TVT stamps) and the fork is chrome/polished, with a definate shoulder at the top that then turns into a fat fork rather than smooth curve/thin look of a TVT 89/92

Cheers, Dan.

***Edit - looks like Vitus front forks looking at pics on google***

Look forward to some photos.

7 speed campag i have 53/39 front and 14/26 rear.
If you are doing any sort of climbing you will need 39t front and 26t rear at least (unless you are very fit). I struggle on hills with 26t. Ideally need 28t.

But then i also top out with just having the 53t front and 14t rear. You will have to compromise one way or another unless you are very lucky and find the perfect freewheel.

Craig will help you out further.

Back