Ridgeback 702 lx forest bike build

Re:

No you've beaten me, no left shifter in this picture! Still got a bit to get done on it but once I source a shifter it's an hour or two at most.
Got a bit done on the Mg, it's a bugger hanging doors on your own :( , then with a few changes of storage there is always the odd bit misplaced (not really a problem as I have tons of spares)
My brother is restoring an Mg Montego Efi so I'll be tapping him up for a hand soon!
I want to see pics of your 900, what a car, there's a Ruby not far from me I've been trying to convince the owner to sell for ages!

Re: Re:

MR OX":2fyvdrwb said:
No you've beaten me, no left shifter in this picture! Still got a bit to get done on it but once I source a shifter it's an hour or two at most.
Got a bit done on the Mg, it's a bugger hanging doors on your own :( , then with a few changes of storage there is always the odd bit misplaced (not really a problem as I have tons of spares)
My brother is restoring an Mg Montego Efi so I'll be tapping him up for a hand soon!
I want to see pics of your 900, what a car, there's a Ruby not far from me I've been trying to convince the owner to sell for ages!

..... spoke too soon. :?
The LH shifter on my Ridgeback is broken too!! :roll: So close..... but it's got to be right (Unless I ride it around in the top ring everywhere!)
At least the progress on your Ridgeback has spurred me on! - I'll see if I can get a scan of that MBUK test article.

The Carlsson should be finished in the next couple of weeks...it's just snagging stuff really.
He's a couple of pics.... 1 when it came back from body and paint. The other is a teaser with the decals in place. Enjoy....

Attachments

• turboRB.jpg
    turboRB.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 622
  • carlssonRB.jpg
    carlssonRB.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 622
Re:

Nice Saab!

What's the problem with the shifter?

I had some early 7 speed STI shifters, similar to these:

M020-001E-600x600.JPG

They were very stiff where the old grease had gone hard and the pawl that operates the ratchet in the right hand/rear shifter had stuck open. I soaked them in some engine degreaser to get rid of all the old grease, moved the pawl back and forth to free it up, then re-greased with some aerosol Teflon grease. Now, they work perfectly.

boy"O"boy":jc67d07r said:
..... spoke too soon. :?
The LH shifter on my Ridgeback is broken too!! :roll: So close..... but it's got to be right (Unless I ride it around in the top ring everywhere!)
At least the progress on your Ridgeback has spurred me on! - I'll see if I can get a scan of that MBUK test article.

The Carlsson should be finished in the next couple of weeks...it's just snagging stuff really.
He's a couple of pics.... 1 when it came back from body and paint. The other is a teaser with the decals in place. Enjoy....
:shock: I think I'm in love!

xerxes":1nwpg51j said:
Nice Saab!

What's the problem with the shifter?

I had some early 7 speed STI shifters, similar to these:

M020-001E-600x600.JPG

They were very stiff where the old grease had gone hard and the pawl that operates the ratchet in the right hand/rear shifter had stuck open. I soaked them in some engine degreaser to get rid of all the old grease, moved the pawl back and forth to free it up, then re-greased with some aerosol Teflon grease. Now, they work perfectly.
Done that with mine but it hasn't done the job :cry: When shifting down it sticks or pings all the way down in one very brutal motion, I'm sure a strip down & in depth clean would sort it but I'm not quite that brave yet, when I source a replacement maybe I'll have a go as I have a good spare shifter for the other side!

Wow!A black Carlsson!Seriously envious.I had a T16 for a few years and sold it 2 years ago,the boost was hugely addictive dropping from 5th to 3rd.Those pre GM Saabs are arguably some of the best built cars around,only let down by softish gearboxes.I can see myself getting another.

Re:

When shifting down it sticks or pings all the way down in one very brutal motion, I'm sure a strip down & in depth clean would sort it but I'm not quite that brave yet

That sounds like a similar issue with the sticky pawl that I had. I didn't disassemble the mechanism at all, just removed the plastic cover that's held on with the screw in the centre, so I could see what was going on, then cleaned the mechanism and re-greased it afterwards.

xerxes":r1o2tbg3 said:
When shifting down it sticks or pings all the way down in one very brutal motion, I'm sure a strip down & in depth clean would sort it but I'm not quite that brave yet

That sounds like a similar issue with the sticky pawl that I had. I didn't disassemble the mechanism at all, just removed the plastic cover that's held on with the screw in the centre, so I could see what was going on, then cleaned the mechanism and re-greased it afterwards.
Yep the Dx really doesn't have a big case & everythings squeezed in quite tight I've cleaned it with degreaser, a toothbrush regreased & worked the mech again & again & again & it's not having a bit of it, I suspect it's furred up. Got some tatty xt shifters coming which will have to do the job for now :? .

Re:

Getting a bit impatient so decided I'd have a go at repairing the shifter, erm, yeah. Actually wasn't that bad. I've stripped it de-greased it looked for corrosion or any other visual hints to the fault & found nothing, re-assembled & re-greased it & it's just the same :(

Re:

So I actually managed to fix the shifter! So after a few adjustments & general check over at my Lbs (It is going to have my nearest & dearest riding it) It's finally finished :D
A fair few parts have just been dug out of the garage so apart from the new cassette it's been a fairly cheap build.

Frame & Fork: Ridgeback 702 Lx tange mtb

Headset: Tioga Avenger CR
Stem: Girvin flexstem
Handlebar: Marin lite alloy
Grips: Profile design
Barends: X-lite

Brakes: Deore Lx M550
Brake Pads: Generic
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Deore Dx St-M071

Shifters: Deore Dx St-M071