Muddy Fox mystery

Re:

Yes they do; the funky rubber hoods lend them an air of magura.

I was after it for the shifters and chainset, leaving the rest as a nice runaround.

Curious.

Colour suggests Pathfinder to me, im doubtful its a Rambler as the colour was darker blue i thought.

It would be shameful to break it for parts, given its only missing the National Panaracer tyres and the super pro kashimax saddle, and maybe the pedals, as i thought they were sliver affairs, unless it is a Rambler after all.

It does have Tange Champion tubing throughout and a Nitto cromo bar/stem combo, those arent cheap these days. I love it though it still even has the original grips and frame pads.

it was this model, that saw the birth of the Tushingham branded bike in the years that followed. This was rumoured to weigh in at 30lbs right on the nose, a lightweight when compared to a lot of others at the time i guess. Especially if you were enjoying your Raleigh at the time...lol.

If the Winner bidder is a member here and would like a small profit, i would like first dibs please...?

Re: Re:

doctor-bond":3v2agjiv said:
Mystery solved! BOTY!!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If it were the handbuilt Limited edition, it would be i would have thought, i think Joe and Charlie have the only one in the states currently in the Museum at the moment. Unsure what no of the 100 it is though.

Re:

Boom - good spot! It is cool.

But is it really an important bike in the history of MTB as you suggest, or are we scraping the barrel as time goes by?

The difference in ride between things like this or early Stumpjumpers, Raleighs or Ridgebacks is surely hardly noticeable? Once lighter, heat-treated frames and decent wheels turned up, then things got interesting ....

What drives the importance here? Rarity? Nostalgia for those old adverts? Or is a direct line of influence between one early design and another?

Attachments

• MuddyFoxPathfinder1.jpg
    MuddyFoxPathfinder1.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 1,236
Re: Re:

doctor-bond":af39xd75 said:
Boom - good spot! It is cool.

But is it really an important bike in the history of MTB as you suggest, or are we scraping the barrel as time goes by?

The difference in ride between things like this or early Stumpjumpers, Raleighs or Ridgebacks is surely hardly noticeable? Once lighter, heat-treated frames and decent wheels turned up, then things got interesting ....

What drives the importance here? Rarity? Nostalgia for those old adverts? Or is a direct line of influence between one early design and another?

Not sure its necessarily of any historical significance per se.

Its a production bike and of little difference to say a Specialized stumpjumper of its time.

I guess, the significance (for me at least) is the brand and its first foray into the relatively new world of "the Mountain Bike" or should i say the availability of the Commercial mountain bike, and its availability to the masses.

And Great Britain's version of it. Specialized et al.

It was the best selling model in the range for obvious reasons, well specd for its time and price, spawned off shoots like the Tushingham brand, that you could argue may never have gave birth to Orange mountain bikes, if this model had not been used as its focus point at the very beginning of that partnership.

And whilst it isn't the model that Jacquie Phelan was photographed with on the banks of the welsh river, iconic adverts like that did increase awareness and fueled the propaganda that fed an industry, leading to the early success of the brand and perhaps the mountain bike on the whole, especially here in the UK.

Like that early stumpjumper, this is one of the early purposely thought out mountain bikes, and one but for a few pieces is near complete, not rusty, not damaged, not needing refurb and getting on for what.... 30 years old..?

Cant be many left as good as, it doesnt have to be a BOTY, or even BOTM for me, its just a survivor, and a small piece of a fantastic puzzle.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 1,224
Back