Recent respray experiences ?

uk gearmuncher

Retro Guru
I need to potentially respray a ‘92 gt Bravado. In its plain yellow guise (I’ll get the decals from Gil beforehand). I’m looking for a recommendation for a decent respray. I’ve used Argos before but wasn’t that impressed. Have you guys got any recommendations ?

Cheap and cheerful LSN coatings done a couple of frames for me recently and I can't complain especially for the price

I’d rather not risk home spraying as the atmospherics can really play the finish up and I’m avoiding powder coating as I’d like a top coat over the decals.

uk gearmuncher":ghi5vht3 said:
I’d rather not risk home spraying as the atmospherics can really play the finish up and I’m avoiding powder coating as I’d like a top coat over the decals.

I’m sure I’ve read that others have clear coated over a powder coat

Retro Spud":8kuttxj3 said:
uk gearmuncher":8kuttxj3 said:

Is that possible ? Could be an option.

Re:

As far as I'm aware, clear coat over powder is done, I think to get a metallic look, it is the clear coat that achieves this i.e the clear cost has the metallic flecks. I think you can also do tinting with the clear coat. Some even offer fades.

Re:

I've used LSN a few times, near to me.

Powder is tough and a good finish. Then, I applied decals and got a car sprayer next door to 2 pack lacquer the whole frame and fork. Very tough and satisfactory finish.

Retro Spud":n0awiczi said:
uk gearmuncher":n0awiczi said:

hi guys , its perfectly ok to clear coat over decals after its been powder coated. we powder coat lots of frames and have a guy who does the clear coat over the decals if needed. there are no solvents in powder coating so there is nothing for the top clear coat to react with..cheers, retrocoating (sandbach)

Re:

Can vouch for Bob Jackson.
I'm sure there are cheaper, but I don't usually want a cheap job, I want it done properly, with proper masking and not a frame full of sand...

Back