Sun frame identification - now with pics.

Re:

Hi,
it is a different serial number sequence than the traditional Sun numbers, mine had a small 'B' and 'TV' but a lower sequence number and that was estimated as Dec 60/ Jan 61, so I suspect yours would be 1961, it is one of the last true Sun's. The tubing is probably straight 531, and the lugs are indeed nervex serie legere 48's but there are no catalogues for these years, I'm afraid. Just restore and enjoy, the person who bought my frame loved it, not the lightest but it rode lovely. Terry

EUUT tubing seems to be a tube set that was particularly peculiar to Sun. I have a couple of Sun machines with this tubing. It seems pretty difficult to even find what it stood for! The tubing itself may well be attributed to Accles and Pollack, but I can't be 100% sure. Sun machines with this tube set carried an attractive decal on the top of the seat tube, where you would find, maybe, a 531 decal on other marques. Other than that I have read it was a respected tubing set and of good quality. Im pretty sure it was not a drawn tube though.

My 1962 Sun Massed Start with Carlton wrap over stays, Bocama lugs and EUUT tubing...

P1028513_zpsbkwb6vhh.jpg

A few machines, the yellow Chris Barber 10 has Truwel tubing and lugs very similar to yours, however these are Crespera lugs, the bike is dated 1968. The other two use the EUUT tubing, the green Snipe plus is from around 1965

P9246608_zpsox2yujyo.jpg

Well, it looks like it must be 1961 (thanks Terry and Mike).

Just shone a torch down the seat tube and had a feel around the bottom bracket (ooh err missus!) and it would seem to be seamless tubing, and quite 'pingy', so quite likely plain gauge 531. Tru-wel is ERW (seamed) and EUUT is likely similar.

Worth restoring, I would think.

Ti pitched up about 1978 if memory serves when they acquired Reynolds. EUUT was a rolled and welded tube like Tru-well IIRC

Ah, I thought EUUT would be similar to Tru-wel.

TI added its name to the Reynolds branding in the 70s, but Tube Investments owned Reynolds long before that. Since 1928 in fact. Tube Investments came about as a merger between Accles and Pollock and two other seamless tube manufacturers in 1919.

Having just looked further into this, it seems that TI went on to acquire many cycle companies in the 40s and 50s including Hercules, Armstrong, Norman, Phillips, and Sun, before swallowing up Raleigh and it's associated brands (BSA, Triumph, Humber, Rudge, New Hudson) in 1960.

So all of the tube types mentioned - Reynolds, EUUT and Tru-Wel - and also Sun Cycles, were all sub-brands owned by parent company Tube Investments (TI Group).

I really should get a life instead of delving into such obscurities.

Midlife - I see you are also in the frozen north. Maybe we should organise a retro ride in Cumbria when the snows go away.

Re:

Apropos of nothing, the EUUT tubing may have a connection to Manchester, because of the inclusion of a Honey bee on the badge :facepalm:

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":2l2v20ed said:
Apropos of nothing, the EUUT tubing may have a connection to Manchester, because of the inclusion of a Honey bee on the badge :facepalm:

Think it harks back to the day of the Sun Wasp!

Midlife":32ediawk said:
Ti pitched up about 1978 if memory serves when they acquired Reynolds. EUUT was a rolled and welded tube like Tru-well IIRC

I think thats correct as I said EUUT may not have been a drawn tube set.

Good morning Mr Wheelnut. I never knew Ti had so many fingers in so many pies....and for so long!

It's snowing in High Hesket at the moment and if you are in the Pennines then I guess you have the same :)

Latest posts

Back