Xizang Julie Furtado/David Baker replica

Vitorzip

Senior Retro Guru
Well, not yet.

We all know that pros used to race with much different setups on their bikes, that is a bit difficult to have a replica that matches a whole season of races. Kai must had that problem with Tinker´s bike, Eric must had it too with Tomes rocket. That said, i tried to make a Furtado/Baker replica based on the bike they used on the portuguese stage of the Grundig World Cup, on Jamor, in 96.

The bike is not quite complete. There are some parts missing to make it a real replica, but i´m too ansious to show it that i will update the topic as i found the rest...

Here it goes:

➡️ Frame: GT Xizang, size 18", 96 model (frame number GTX96...)
➡️ Forks: Rock Shox Judy SL, titanium springs and bolts, White Brothers cartridge, 63mm of travel
➡️ Transmission: XTR M950, 8 speed, including crankset, chain, cassette,front and rear mech
➡️ Wheels: XTR M950 hubset, Mavic 117Sup CD Ceramic rims, laced on Wheelsmith DB spokes (White Industries on pics)
➡️ Tyres: Panaracer Dart and Smoke kevlar, 2.1, amberwall
➡️ Pedals: Shimano 747
➡️ Headset: (currently an FSA, but i believe they raced with Tange, if someone could help :roll: )
➡️ Stem: (currently cromoly Titec, looking for a black KORE)
➡️ Shifters: XTR M950 8 speed
➡️ Brakes: XTR M950 V-brakes
➡️ Seatpost: XTR M900
➡️ Saddle: original Flite Titanium (for Baker, because Julie used another one)
➡️ Bar: (looking for the one they used, either a GT made by Easton or a Kore)
➡️ Barends: Onza CWA (black as the stem, in this case)
➡️ Grips: Onza Porcipaws clear grips (also used those long and thin GT logo grips)

I´m still searching for a correct bar, stem and headset.

They also raced with an yellow Kore stem and yellow Onza barends, aswell as amber Panaracers, but not in this race so...

Hubs that appear on photos are White Industries, but i have a set just like that with XTR M950 hubs, which is the perfect match for the bike.

And now the most important:

24102008454sw1.jpg

24102008455kw0.jpg

24102008456ne6.jpg

24102008457ju7.jpg

24102008468hr6.jpg

24102008458io4.jpg

24102008459ik5.jpg

24102008461dy4.jpg

;)

It looks perfect just the way it is (even if it it's not a perfect replica). It ticks all my boxes!

Never really a fan of GTs (sorry Pickle :LOL: ) But Vitor .. you have done a fantastic job there, looks Ace :cool: :cool: ;)

excellent! its hard enough doing a period rebuild, let alone a replica works bike. really like it

Lovely, very very lovely.

I was watching the Grundig World Cup 1993 on video last night, the year the Julie did 10 wins from 10 starts on a Xizang :cool:

Beautiful build ;)

Back