Hope refunding price difference on their HB.160

legrandefromage":322ibu3t said:
But you dont want everything to 'last a lifetime' - its a bad business model

True, i suppose they could always change the colour/graphics next year, or maybe even something radical like the size of the wheels :shock:

Of course they will run out of wheel size options eventually and we will have gone full circle, and all be riding penny farthings :LOL:

legrandefromage":2slk6zkb said:
Who's buying them then? I cant afford one, a paper round or two wouldnt cover it either.

Like much in life :facepalm:

However BiTD when a Ti bike cost £1,700-£2,000 and a pint of beer was £1.20/£1.50 the same might have been said.
Compared to a Apple phone at over £1k they seem good value given product life expectancy.

But funding from a paper round...no. On credit...yes. That is how I suspect much of this stuff is bought.

Anyway I respect Hope for what they have done and that they will refund....most would not bother I suspect.

Re:

I think it is a great move, and deserves positive responses.

Like TinTin said, who else would do such a thing as refund money they already received, rather than just promote a huge discount to new customers.

Bloody magic to promote British production too.

I can't spend 5.5k on a bike, but it is not a lot for anyone wanting a competitive rig.

Re: Re:

BoyBurning":t3v37hv9 said:
Sure, I appreciate that.

So assume a substitution for those items with the top end equivalent 'standard' Hope items.

What would a guide cost be for all the kit on the bike, bar the frame...?

Off the top of my head you'll be looking at:

Fork- £1100.
Shock- £600.
Wheels tyres- £450.
Brakes- £350.
Bar- £150.
Stem- £70.
Dropper- £300.
Crank- £250.
Cassette- £150.
Gears- £200.
Saddle- £50.

May be a bit out on some and have not included a few small parts but that comes to £3670. Even if you sourced the parts at the cheapest possible OEM, grey import, no original packaging price it would make the frame come out at around £2000 which although a huge amount is an absolute bargain compared to the completion.

I do not have close to 5.5k but I'm talking myself in to finding it! :facepalm: :LOL:

legrandefromage":3ns2f01d said:

Works for Patek Phillippe & many other high end low volume manufacturers. Rolls Royce seem to do well, quality remains long after the memory of price has been forgotten.

It's a different business model, doesn't work for everyone. I'd rather buy something that lasts.

Tad":3kx37pr4 said:
legrandefromage":3kx37pr4 said:

Works for Patek Phillippe & many other high end low volume manufacturers. Rolls Royce seem to do well, quality remains long after the memory of price has been forgotten.

It's a different business model, doesn't work for everyone. I'd rather buy something that lasts.

You think that carbon frame will 'last'? Define 'last'?

Bicycles are a terrible business model, why do you think there are so many 'standards'? Why have so many big brands disappeared over the years? Its a terrible idea to sell something that someone can self service and keep going for years with little or no maintenance or further interaction with the original manufacturer, you cant make someone buy because they need to you can only make them think that they do with clever marketing.

And Zee Germanz own Rolls Royce cars because if they didnt, it would have disappeared altogether.

rusty.shadow.1.jpg

They are in danger of devaluing their brand if they are not careful, they could of just kept quiet and pocketed the difference, ploughing it back into the business.

When you sell a 'high end' or flagship product you want it to have the best reputation possible. Certain brands sell on reputation alone - how many names can you think of that appear on clothing or mass produced products so people can feel associated with a premium brand despite possibly never owning a TAG Heuer or Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. You dont see those lopping off the price 'because we can build it cheaper', you're more likely to be politely told to eff off if you need to know the price, sir...

True, making it more obtainable but less desirable.

Should have raised the price :LOL:

Latest posts

Back