GT Zaskar frame - genuine?

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
ZAKAR FRAME

Hi . Ask him if it is 6061 Aluminiun. It should be marked inside the Rear -Dropout. Also the serial no. should be stamped on the face of the Drop-out, and should be all numbers, and the frame size should also be stamped there also. The back cap to the top-tube should be flat, not curved if its a USA frame. I hope this helps. There have been a lot of fake Zaskars on E-Bay lately.

The frame size isn't stamped on all USA Zaskars, so don't get stressed if thats not there.

Ask for a pic of the drop-out so you can see the info for yourself rather than relying on the seller.

Something was bugging me about this.... I've just realised what it is. In the pic, it looks like the gusset is on the downtube?

I don't know if GT changed the frame spec for the later frames but my '93 Zaskar is gussetted on the toptube, not the downtube. I think that the question here isn't " Is this a USA or Far Eastern Zaskar?" but "Is this a Zaskar at all?".

I'd steer clear.

I have one of these and can assure you that it is a Zaskar. I worked Saturdays at Broadribbs in Leam back in 1997 and these where grey imports by Caratti. I even have the original box it came in with the import stickers somewhere.

This is actually my frame and now I am confused as most of you are as to whether or not this is a Zaskar frame. At present I have this advertised as a GT Frame could be a Pantera or Avalanche (this is what a fellow Ebayer told me it could be). I have the numbers and some further information on the frame. The top/seat tube section is flat with GT stamped on. The inside of each rear drop out says 6061 (assume this is the aluminium type) and the outside of the let rear drop out has the following two numbers. 06971512 (serial number??) and 18 (obviously frame size). With this information I would be grateful if someone could shed some light as to what model this actually is. Thanks in advance

Back