Harry Hall Query

daveweim

Dirt Disciple
Hi All,

I've recently picked up this Harry Hall bike but I can't see a frame number or anything on the frame to help identify it (ignore the skew whiff saddle!). Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• 27413714-102-640x480.jpg
    27413714-102-640x480.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 605
Presently working on a Harry Hall similar age to yours. It has the frame number (132:cool: stamped into the bottom bracket where the downtube enters the lug.
It also has the fork steerer tube stamped. This has been carefully done - a small section was filed flat and the number stamped into the flatted area. Very neat.

Re:

It's quite normal for HH frames not to be numbered, it probably depended on who made them and at what time. It won't say anything much about whether the frame is genuinely a HH or otherwise...

Re:

Hi Gav - know what u mean about id but I'm hoping with pantographed forks and seat stay caps that no one would go to that effort to disguise my one!!

Re:

74Pirate":1qj2bq8v said:
Hi Gav - know what u mean about id but I'm hoping with pantographed forks and seat stay caps that no one would go to that effort to disguise my one!!

I wouldn't have thought so :D

Re: Re:

gavr":tztz4nn7 said:
It's quite normal for HH frames not to be numbered, it probably depended on who made them and at what time. It won't say anything much about whether the frame is genuinely a HH or otherwise...

Agree 100% with what gavr says. I do wonder whether some of the numbering on some of these frames has been lost thru sanding and/or blasting or is just invisible under the paint.
Obviously the stamping will vary with different builders but mine has quite small numbers and these have not been struck very deeply. Until I removed the paint (acetone and a rag) I wasn't even aware that it was stamped.

Re:

Thanks for all your expert replies. I was wondering if I had had been sold a kipper when I couldn't see a frame number but recalling from when I was a kid with a HH (why did I sell it?) the bike is nice and light. Unfortunately it is too small for me so is in the loft and will probably sell it in on in Spring. On the upside I've just bagged a Cilo 531, mix of dura=ace and 600. Know absolutely zip about them but it was a nice colour. Same purple as my my Raleigh Special Products |(Enid) 531 which the other half has now claimed, sigh!

Back