Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112735822210?ul_noapp=true

s-l1600.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Size added. 19” c to c. Did they make big ones ever?

I know they’re different but not for 6ft plus I’d have thought.

The History Man":18bur278 said:

Same size as mine, I'm about 5'10 & have no problems, remember they are tall but not long.

I also have some "Bay City Rollers" boots adapted for SPDs.

;)

The History Man":3den0q40 said:

Before 1985 you could only get seat-pins that were 170mm or less in total length. Therefore, early Cleland frames built for taller riders had extended seat-tubes ans extra-long seat stays that joined the seat tube a few inches above where the top tube and cross-brace did.

However one by one, most of the Cleland frames without this seat-tube extension started to crack just below the quick release bolt. Sometimes these cracks grew until they completely severed the seat tube. The problem was that the seat-tube wall was too thin, and the short seat-pins of the day were not long enough to provide the internal support needed to prevent metal-fatigue. Most were repaired and reinforced by Highpath Engineering though some have survived in their original state, most probably because they have been ridden by shorter or lighter riders.

About a year after Cleland stopped producing bikes SunTour brought out 300mm seat-pin.
Also, all Highpath made bikes have heavily reinforced seat tube/top tube connections as do some English Cycles machines, but not the one for sale here. Its seat-tube has probably survived for the same reasons as some of the early Clelands. However, it will be well worth checking the inside of the seat-tube top for signs of cracking before handing over any cash.

I would recommend to its new owner that this bike is always ridden with the seat-pin well inserted into the frame and also to use a sprung saddle to minimise the effects of shock loading on the seat-tube. Taller riders will need to use a much longer seat pin then the one currently fitted.

I will write a comparison of Cleland frame sizes when compared to those of MTBs soon.

That's excellent info as always. I'd love to find a bike suitable for my 6'3" 18st lump.

Latest posts

Back