'95 Litespeed Obed fs Rebuild- rear shock question

SlickyPop

Retro Newbie
I used to work at a bike shop in the mid 90s during college... It was a great era for mountain-biking. The shop I worked at sold Trek, Cannondale, and Gary Fisher primarily. But we started carrying Schwinn when they started making good bikes again (the Homegrown series...great bikes). We also had some old Paramounts laying around... Anyway, rarely did I ever get a full paycheck because I employee purchased so much stuff. My suspension bike was a Trek 8700 with the carbon tubes and aluminum joints with the first gen Judy fork... My non suspension ride was the Trek 990 with the triple butted steel frame (such a great frame...) My point in the narrative history is that I could only afford the stuff my shop sold because I got it at cost. My dream bike in those days was a Litespeed titanium.

Fast-forward 23 years, three teenagers, no bikes (except kids bikes), and a real job... A month ago I walk into my friends office and see my dream bike... a '95 Litespeed Obed fs with full xt... only it is in a state of horrible disrepair... the tires and fork are flat, the stickers are chewed up, the chain stay is in rough shape, the cables are rusted... it had been "rode hard and put up wet" as they say. Nevertheless, I had to have it. It was going to get me back into biking. So, i ask him how much he wanted for it. He wouldn't sell. It had been given to him by a friend and he felt obliged to get it functional again. A month goes by, he realizes how much work would be needed, calls me up and gives it to me... for free. What?!

Now, it's not that great a gift as the whole thing need to be rebuilt. But it will be a fun project.
I am modernizing it:
Shimano 1x11 drivetrain- Slx cranks with 32tooth Blackspire snaggletooth chainring, xt bottom bracket, xt 11 spd rear derailer, xtr 11x spd shifter, xtr 11 spd chain, new shimano hubs front and rear...

Fox float 32 fork, Hayes disc brake up front, Crank Bros 31.8 stem, raceface riser bar... and a few other things here and there... repainting the rear triangle...

My question has to do with the rear suspension. This model of Obed FS has the AMP rear triangle... what I can't figure out is what kind of rear shock to buy... i want one with lock out for my commute rides but I can't find the specs on what's on there. Litespeed told me that they don't keep specs on bikes that old which seemed strange... So, any advice or knowledge would be helpful in regard to replacing the rear shock...

Attachments

• Bike full.jpg
    Bike full.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 440
  • litespeed 95.jpg
    litespeed 95.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 440
Re:

I've got a mint one of these (for sale as it goes). You will struggle with shock options I'm afraid. Risse are the only firm that did options, not sure any had lockout though.

Fork wise, you might be better off with new than servicing the dukes.

Re:

Sad to hear that about the shock... i did wind up getting another fork... it's a fox float 32... it's used but in good shape. Is yours stock or did you mod it?

As ishaw says, Risse are the only option. They are good however. I use the basic Genesis model on one of my Amps, a vast improvement over the Amp shock. They do the Astro 5 which they suggest:
When positioned on the stiffest setting, the shock mimics a lock-out but is not a lock-out.

Re:

Mine is currently stock, but I have a few parts I was going to mod it with:

Risse ellroy rear shock or the standard astro
Amp f3 xc forks
Disc adaptors for frame and fork to run is disc brakes (or post with adapter)

I also have a lot of spare parts (bushings, axles, seal kits etc) that I got direct from amp before they stopped selling them.

Latest posts

Back