Zaskar Identification Algorithm

The more research I do, the stronger the impression that the number of serial-less Zaskars is too high to be explained by prototypes, team frames, etc. It must just be that I'm see a freak result in a too small sample, but I can't help wondering if GT, or someone at GT, was making a pretty significant number of bikes off the books for some reason...

Greetings all - I dug my old dusty GT out of storage and I was looking to sell it. I wanted to advertise this as truthfully as possible, so I poured over the information on this forum to see if I could ID the origin of my bike.

There is a BUNCH of info out there on the 'Net about this, most of it conflicting or incomplete. The regulars here must be sick to death of this subject already...but if some of the experts here could educate a newbie one more time, that would be grand. The info I have now - 11960862 serial number, no letters. It's stamped on the inside non drive side stay, and next to that by itself is a number 20, I'm assuming that means 20 inch frame. Flat end cap on the top tube with the GT logo stamped into it, two decals on it, one is a yellow sticker that says GT, on the super thick bottom tube (oblong on both ends, opposed to each other) the other on the top tube says Zaskar LE in yellow script type letters. Super chunky welds all around. I bought this as a frame only and put the best components I could find on it (Shimano XTR everything...brakes, shifters, pedals, cassette, etc.)

My concerns - no 6061 T6 or 7005 stamp anywhere on the bike - no 'made in USA' sticker or decal - the famous 'Ping Pong paddle' decal is absent - Anybody care to speculate if this is a Santa Ana original?

Re: thank you all...

Dear all

Have often used/read all the various threads on here but never actually signed up, so having just finally purchased yesterday a 'didn't know what they had' GT Zaskar LE, from Mar 1996 (the pinnacle year IMO), felt compelled to thank you all for sharing the knowledge and thus helping me confirm/buy another dream machine.

The story goes, the guy brought it over with him when he moved here from the US some years ago, then left it here when he moved back for his friend to use and now eventually sell.

Question 1: it's covered in 90s Shimano DX parts on an LE frame, which just seems odd to me. Can imagine it was a stretch to buy BITD and thus someone picked the more affordable group set, but does anyone know what sort of builds/specs were sold in the USA, compared to the German catalogue spec on here for 1996 ? (Has 1996 looking DX: Hubs/pedals/cranks/derailers)

Am trying to decipher what parts are likely original with a view to potentially keeping them, versus those I could/should restore to more original.

By the looks of it the seat post and cockpit were all nicked off it/replaced at some point as they don't match rest of the build, so already have some original black KORE stem & bar and flight ti saddle on order.

Question 2: do the brake levers/shifters look original ? (They don't to me)

Question 3: I can't find a black KORE seat post for the period in 27.0mm ? (Should it actually be 27.2mm)

Question 4: a lot of the nice restoration/rebuilds seem to all use Syncros instead, why would I use Syncros v Kore who were local to the factory and the same 6061-T6 at the time I think ?

Question 5: the Rockshox Judy XCs look original, but are in blue and the steerer has never been cut to fit, where they not originally yellow ?

She has just polished up nicely with SILVO and putting some original Smoke & Darts on its today from current stock. But tempted to eventually put some black Fat Frank cruisers on it to make it practical in the current stable. Thoughts welcome ?

Will post some pics

Cheers Joe

The stable: Orange P7 (1996), Kona Lava Dome (1996), GT Zaskar LE (1996) Specilaized S-Works Epic (2006) Specilaized S-Works TT (2006)

Re:how do you post pics from an iPad ?

Ermmm how do you post pics from an iPad, just says they are all to big !?

Re:

Can't help you with the photo thing, but the Zaskar LE could be had as a frame only in '96 (I know 'cos I had one) , so it could have been built up with non-standard kit from the start. There isn't any difference between the Zasakr & Zaskar LE frames, the only difference was build kit on the full bikes. The LE for that year would have come with a yellow Judy SL

GT Used Syncros finishing kit as well as Kore and their own branded stuff. depends on the year. ;)

My 94 frame sits somewhere between a 27 & 27.2 seat post. Can't remember what the 96 frame is supposed to take off hand.

The thread here (viewtopic.php?t=240422 ) and the brochure within, which looks American seems to suggest they also came built. Was the bare ball burnished finish LE available frame only ?

That would make sense though, then built with full the more affordable or tougher DX kit at the time or soon after purchase. Then fitted DIY with Judy XC but didn't cut to fit !

Will sort it all out across the next few weeks and get it looking more the part.

Back