Mongoose IBOC Sport - Seatpost size?

Joe_Rides

Senior Retro Guru
I'm currently building a single speed out of a Mongoose Iboc sport frame, but can't find the seatpost size online.

I think it's a 1995 model in green with purple forks. Tange cromo with a wishbone back end. It came with the original Iboc stem but the seatpost was missing.

A quick search on other Ibocs in the range in this period suggested that it should be 27.0, however that's too large for this I think.

26.8 perhaps? Anyone got any idea?

I don't have anything accurate enough to measure it to anything other than the nearest mm.

Cheers

Joe

Re:

My IBOC sounded similar, that was only 26.2mm I think I may still have the seatpost I ran on it, if I can find it you can have it for postage if you want to give it a go.

Re:

That would be brilliant if you could dig it out yes!

If you PM me your paypal details I'll send you some pennies over for postage.

Joe

Re:

:facepalm: Sorry Joe, I rummaged and I rummaged and I can't for the life of me find it or anuthing of a similar size. I've got rid of so much stuff lately (down to just the 1 retro ride now and that's a road bike) that it must have gone.

Sorry to have got your hopes up.

T

Re:

No problem and thank-you for looking! I'll sort something out for it in the new year I'm sure.

Thanks again

Joe

I had an IBOC Zero G SX (briefly), frame was toast but I have all the rest. Will have a hunt.

Re:

Cheers Jez!

I have kind of sorted it out now, for the time being at least.

I've got an old Peugeot road bike on the garage wall, which had a seatpost shim in place with an old 23mm seatpost. I tried the shim in the Mongoose with my 25.4mm seatpost and it slides in and out as it should quite nicely, so I managed to take the bike on a blast round the block over the weekend.

Not a permanent solution, but fine until I can be arsed getting a proper seatpost for it (it's only a "junk spares" bike anyway, so this solution is kind of apt).

Joe

Back