difference in dual control levers & separate brake/shifter?

Re: Re:

ishaw":1pk175rx said:
Never tried 11sp, don't see the point.
It came on my new race bike. The old XTR970 9 Speed/26" carbon HT was getting a bit long in the tooth. So i've sacrificed about 4 lbs and gone 29er Carbon FS with XT M8000. Just need to get some decent brakes on there.

Re:

I love the older dual control flappy shifter/levers,have them on 2 winter bikes and although they are not aesthetically pleasing(m966),they`ve been flawless the last 10 years.As for 1x11,the last 10months Ive run it on the race bike with an expander and without doubt its the way to go,climbing and descending all catered for totally reliably without a front mech/shifter and less weight.But yeah,dual control is great and I think it got an unfair reputation.

Re:

Dual control fan here, though they make more sense with a rapid rise rear mech (move the levers up to climb and down to descend). I've only used XTR (rim brake and Disk) but I seem to remember that they came in XT and LX flavour too.
Apart from freeing up bar space and saving weight there is a very real advantage in your ability to shift and brake at the same time.
I've just remembered that I once used a pair for the brakes only on a single speed. :cool:

I know. CRC were knocking out the last generation XTRs for about £90 an end.

Probably worth it for the compete caliper, hose and gear cable set alone.

Re:

I got my dual control sets for peanuts too.I initially ran them with M960 rapid rise mechs but when they wore out I replaced them recently with M970 and an M972 shadow mech(both normal rise)and after 5mins riding I was used to them and find it an excellent set up.The last of the line M975 dual control is a very neat set up.

Back