Suntour indexing and spacing

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
After having a rummage in the garage this week I've recovered 2 interesting Suntour rear mechs (XCE and XCT) I forgot I had. It would be cool to use one on my deliberately simple Salsa El Mariachi build, as a talking point.

I've been trying to find out the cable pull ratio and cassette spacing for the Accushift XCT and XCT systems, to see if there is any way to get a Suntour rear mech to work with an indexed Shimano shifter and Shimano cassette. I could always run the mechs with thumbshifters set to friction (the ultimate in low tech simplicity!!), but I do quite like having imdexed gears.

Do any Retrobikers know the cable pull and cassette spacing for Accushift?

Re:

The indexing is done by the shifter not the rear mech. Result the make of rear mech is of little consequence unless its a weird SRAM 1:1 ratio affair. However if the cassette/freewheel is also Suntour there might be slight issues but as you say, full friction shifting sorts that out.

Re:

I looked into this when building my pace (long gone) and apparently the race team used xt thumbies with xc pro gearing. I did dabble with this but went full xc pro for no other reason than I could. In conclusion, you should be fine with Shimano I dexing and suntour mechs.

Back