Kona KuKu

Lucatiel17

Retro Newbie
Hello,

Recently purchased a Kona KuKu full suspension frame. The seller said it was the 1999 version. I can't find any material on the specs in the catalogues I've looked through. I tried a few years either way also. I just wanted to have a look at the original build so I have an idea of restoring it.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance

:D

Lucatiel17":15ys88uz said:
Hello,

Recently purchased a Kona KuKu full suspension frame. The seller said it was the 1999 version. I can't find any material on the specs in the catalogues I've looked through. I tried a few years either way also. I just wanted to have a look at the original build so I have an idea of restoring it.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance

:D

Greetings,

The Kona KuKu is a BMX, which was introduced in 2000.

Perhaps you could pop up a picture of the frame that have you purchased, and someone may be able to help you.

Pip

Attachments

• 2000 Kona KuKu.jpg
    2000 Kona KuKu.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,037
Re:

Hi thanks for reply. It's definitely not a BMX. I am having difficulty posting a picture but trying to sort this out as soon as possible.
Cheers

Re: Re:

Lucatiel17":e45jdvpp said:
Hi thanks for reply. It's definitely not a BMX. I am having difficulty posting a picture but trying to sort this out as soon as possible.
Cheers

If it isn't a BMX, then it isn't the KuKu model that you quoted in your first post - a DuDu from the the same year is Full Suspension.

You will need to keep the file size down to post up a picture. I think it is about 400Kb max for an inserted file (my picture is under 40Kb), or add a link to a picture hosting site - but not Photobucket :x

Pip.

Thanks again pip.

It is definitely a kuku. Blue and yellow frame. I realise without a picture it's difficult. I am working on making my image smaller. This just isn't my area. Thanks for your patience.

Hopefully I shall upload an image very soon.

Attachments

• Kona kuku2.jpg
    Kona kuku2.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,042
Re:

Curiouser and curiouser :shock:

The bike in the picture is a 1999 model - or at least I can say that it has 1999 Decals.

It doesn't feature in the 1999 catalogue, but it does resemble the XC Dual Suspension models of that year like the Mokomoko, King Kikapu & Manomano.

I am stumped that the model name in the picture ended up being a BMX by the following year. Kona have re-used names for entirely different model since then, but they leave about a 15 year gap before doing so - the Hei Hei springs to mind.

Pip.

I am also stumped as my research came up with the same, a BMX model initially. It's the original decals and there are bikes in the 1999 catalogue that look similar as you mentioned. I saw a post that said Kona did a KuKu mountain bike in 99, 00 an 01 but I found no evidence of this other than this post

https://knowyourbike.com/kona/kuku

It's strange...

The frame I have is in really good condition and I'm quite happy with it but would just like to see it in it's former glory and see full spec list.

That's my old bike - I took the picture. I bought it on ebay years ago then sold it to a guy who was taking it abroad on holiday or something. The model name thing is weird I know.

What a coincidence! I have just a frame, the person I bought it from said it was rare but I didn't realise it was so rare I couldn't find anything about it. Haha
I found the pic on Google images as I had trouble making mine smaller for the forum.

Can you remember the spec on it, did you have it from 99?

Back