ID: Sub 2kg mid 90s steel frame - with TB P2 but not Kona?

Re: ID: 2 kg mid 90s steel frame - with TB P2 but not Kona?

Ritchey agrees.

Attachments

• Magazine_RitcheyPetersen.jpg
    Magazine_RitcheyPetersen.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 645

P_451":3e0migdf said:
Ritchey agrees.

Agrees to what im a little lost...?

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":aooeh0lu said:
Nope many bikes have them.
Taiwan / Japan, nothing wrong with the builders there.
sinnerman - I was referring to this. Sorry, I should have made a quote.

No positive progress on the frame identification to report. The Biria scenario is starting to fall apart; besides the evident structural differences around the head tube (the reinforcement rings) and the chainstay/seatstay ends (Biria "Woody" has round ones vs mine are flat), picnicker74's Biria has 27.2 mm seat post, which is way too much for my seat tube. I also emailed Sachsenring Bike Manufaktur GmbH (former MIFA-Bike Gesellschaft mbH) that acquired Biria in 2006, but they do not have any Biria related archives left.

There is still a couple of stones to unturn; fingers crossed they don't dry up...

P_451":cpuik86c said:
FluffyChicken":cpuik86c said:

No positive progress on the frame identification to report. The Biria scenario is starting to fall apart; besides the evident structural differences around the head tube (the reinforcement rings) and the chainstay/seatstay ends (Biria "Woody" has round ones vs mine are flat), picnicker74's Biria has 27.2 mm seat post, which is way too much for my seat tube. I also emailed Sachsenring Bike Manufaktur GmbH (former MIFA-Bike Gesellschaft mbH) that acquired Biria in 2006, but they do not have any Biria related archives left.

There is still a couple of stones to unturn; fingers crossed they don't dry up...

Your above details are why i felt the other example pictured was a closer match than the Bira in over all detail. Because so few make for so many brand names, identifying the manufacturer, is crucial, short of that the only way is to find an image.

I will keep looking myself for you too, something will come to light to pin point it im sure.

Re:

What was the serial it seems to be all placeholders now, which year was it saying.

One problem is things changed from year to year as frame parts became available at better prices etc.

The frame is midrange weight, not particularly light, given its frame size.
Top end light frame in that size would be touching ~4lb possibly less.

sinnerman":3t1xz9d1 said:
P_451":3t1xz9d1 said:
FluffyChicken":3t1xz9d1 said:

Your above details are why i felt the other example pictured was a closer match than the Bira in over all detail. Because so few make for so many brand names, identifying the manufacturer, is crucial, short of that the only way is to find an image.

I will keep looking myself for you too, something will come to light to pin point it im sure.

Attachments

• wilier ad.jpg
    wilier ad.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 605
  • ritchey_logic_wcs.jpg
    ritchey_logic_wcs.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 604
  • UnknownMtbFrame_P2_NoHeadset_01.JPG
    UnknownMtbFrame_P2_NoHeadset_01.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 604

FluffyChicken":2q8pkinf said:
What was the serial it seems to be all placeholders now, which year was it saying.
It's back again, I removed a bit more paint there and that's the one. When I first saw the very faint number down there, I wanted to see B93.... as that seemed to match quite well with the estimated production year, but after the patch paint removal, it certainly is B99.... and that can't be the production year. First I thought that "B" meaning "Biria" would make sense but now I think the "B" is there for something else. The length and the format of the two known Biria serial numbers are the same as in my frame, B plus 6 digits, but they both are B98....

What comes to the Wilier - a perfect match, except no head tube rings. I have seen now in a very short period of time thousands of vintage MTBs online and that head tube reinforcement thing is rather rare vintage MTB feature - road bikes are different of course...

Not sure its rare to be fair, as the demands of the rider changed so did the frame, ring reinforcement rings are very inexpensive addition, and can save lots of problems.

http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-fra ... RINGS.html

You will also notice that the Wilier pictured above doesn't have rack eyelets either, this would suggest that whilst its come from the same source, your example is most probably a lower model in the range, this might well see the need for the head tube reinforcement rings especially if the tube set is of a lower grade and would also explain the difference in weight.

Back