1986 Bob Jackson 531c, finished ! !

Ah, fair enough. Not confidence-inspiring though, when you're on a super-tight budget. Would mean shipping the frame to them first to get an estimate (so that's £50) before we're even talking about getting paint tins out.
Hmm. Maybe back to rattle cans then.

edit *** Sorry, didn't mean to hijack a lovely thread with all my negativity ****

There is a price list on their site Richard so you do know how much it will cost. I have been looking at repainting my Jack Taylor and it has double box lining, single colour, I will supply decals etc and the price is all there to see. The only thing I have to check with Donald is the rear rack which was made and painted with the frame so I will need that painted too. Give him a ring and tell him what you have and need and he will give you a price there and then, no hidden extras.

Jamie

richardshill":t30rzm82 said:
Ah, fair enough. Not confidence-inspiring though, when you're on a super-tight budget. Would mean shipping the frame to them first to get an estimate (so that's £50) before we're even talking about getting paint tins out.
Hmm. Maybe back to rattle cans then.

edit *** Sorry, didn't mean to hijack a lovely thread with all my negativity ****

Do it yourself, Send It Now, £11.35 to send the frameset off
Like I did

Mike

Re:

What a fantastic looking bike! Brilliant transformation from an old frame to this. Flambouyant colours certainly work well and lug lining provides a lovely extra detail. A pleasure to see such a good job done, even more so that it’s a Bob Jackson.

The quality of BJ’s work and finish is superb. Don’t know how their costs compare, because haven’t used anyone else for many years, but they certainly appear competitive in terms of price. When they replaced a head tube for me this autumn looks like the new work was reamed before painting, and the fork crown race was cut after painting. I was quoted £30 + from LBS to face BB and head tube, so not a lot if I have to do it (just haven’t got round to rebuilding yet). All the threads were clean, and/or had new bolts in (bottle cage threads, rear drop out adjusters, seat tube, etc) – I was very happy with this quality of finish.

Having said that, another frame ‘arrived’ before I could put the BJ 731 os back together and, for some inexplicable reason, another one is now on it’s way from France so may be a while before my BJ gets an outing again. The thread for my BJ is lower down the page in case anyone interested.

Good luck with your BJ.

Re:

Hi Mike
Very classy bike and a great thread

I really like the choice of handlebar nice sweep I am a big fan of the deep cinelli handlebars but these are much nicer in my opinion

Pat

Re: Re:

cloonaghpat":2bv0gafs said:
Hi Mike
Very classy bike and a great thread

I really like the choice of handlebar nice sweep I am a big fan of the deep cinelli handlebars but these are much nicer in my opinion

Pat

Thanks Pat,

Looking forward to some nice dry days to bring it out! The 64s are not my usual preference, having big hands means 66s are what I normally look for. But I like these

Mike

Just reading through a few ‘readers rides’ whilst waiting for the hangover hoard to arise.... enjoyed this one Mike.

Re:

Smashing. Love the colour. Wouldn't work at all with a black groupset but it perfectly complements the silver.

Back