Geoff Smith?

fiveSixteenths

Senior Retro Guru
Anyone know anything about these? Obviously I know there's a shop in Bolton, and Geoff was an Olympic rider in the early '80's (Wikipedia?)
Pretty sure they didn't make frames but did badge some nice ones - and I'd like to see if anyone can help me identify this (seller's pic not mine).
cheers
Richard

Attachments

• $_86.JPG
    $_86.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 1,666
So quick tear down and cat-lick clean, dropped on some of the components, things are looking ok...

Attachments

• IMG_3391_s.jpg
    IMG_3391_s.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,578
Hey @Midlife, yes - I guess for rack-n-guard mounting (pic taken before the strip-down)? Was wondering if that means it's more likely an Audax / light Touring build?
Has Gimpemme drop-outs on the back.
Frame weighs 2040g, fork was 760g so it's no super lightweight, but makes me think is not stovepipe... maybe Reynolds touring tubes? No idea how you tell.
cheers
Richard

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,564
BITD I would have called it a Demi-Course, a light tourer. Nigel Dean made some cracking frames like yours :)

Ah, that's useful to know. Just wish there was some way of identifying the blessed thing!
Is there a Nigel Dean frame numbering reference anywhere (actually, will do a bit of searching now I think of it)?

Re:

Everest are/were a maker of investment cast lugs. The frame weight (ballpark 2kg) is typical of general Reynolds 531, not 531ST (super touring) which would bring it up to about 2220g. 531 had TT & ST 0.8 to 0.5mm, DT 0.9 to 0.6mm. Whereas 531ST is 1 to 0.7mm for all the main tubes.

@otherself - that's really helpful, will check the wall widths but am pretty happy that's it's most likely at least 531 (and the bb lead's great.)
Going to become my next commuter / winter bike, so will fit back up with a rear rack and guards. Once it's been off for a repaint and waxoiling...

Well, have been trying to work out what this is...
...thought it might have been a Mercian (most likely not, wrong frame numbering although their Audax finishing is pretty close).
Then maybe an Ellis Briggs (could be, still the numbering might be too high but am going to send them pics).
Could possibly be a Witcombe (Whitcombe?) but not sure there's any way to tell.
It's not a Holdsworth(y).
Would welcome any other suggestions :)

Back