Kona's page

Battered '99 Cindercone, got the frame for buttons, and built up a a 'bits box special' singlespeed. My first Kona (I've always preferred Marins, sorry) but I absolutely love this thing, so light!

I know the purists shudder at Aluminium, and it's my first Al bike. But real retro is so pricey these days...

It's a rider not a looker... :D

Attachments

• cindercan.JPG
    cindercan.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 4,441
ededwards":pzkgfb4p said:
Some really good looking and thoughtfully put together bikes here. Without wanting to be overly negative, to me the bigger ones (20") don't look as nicely proportioned as the smaller ones.

I know that this is often true of larger frames but I think it is accentuated by the sloping top tube of the Kona and I'll add, surely to Gump's horror, that I think the same with Rocky Mountains - I will not expand further through fear for my life!
I hope Guy won't mind my stepping just a fraction outside his vision for his thread, as the attached photo doesn't belong to anyone on here. But just to illustrate EdEdwards' perceptive point, here is a Kona with almost no slope in its top tube, because it's in the rather rare size 23.

Although ironically, the owner has his seat quite low and has flipped his stem, so he could have achieved that riding position with a size 19 if he wanted to. He obviously likes a long top tube.

Attachments

• 2008 Kula Supreme size 23.jpg
    2008 Kula Supreme size 23.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 4,402
That's a race bike, and presumably belongs to a racer. Race bikes are almost always a little ugly, but functional for the rider.

I disagree - race bikes are often very lovely indeed. They're also more commonly the smallest frame the rider can get away with. This one has a distinct whiff of the ex-roadie about it ;-)

hers mine

CopyofDSC00951.jpg

Anthony":1bux5rgn said:
I hope Guy won't mind my stepping just a fraction outside his vision for his thread, as the attached photo doesn't belong to anyone on here. But just to illustrate EdEdwards' perceptive point, here is a Kona with almost no slope in its top tube, because it's in the rather rare size 23.

Although ironically, the owner has his seat quite low and has flipped his stem, so he could have achieved that riding position with a size 19 if he wanted to. He obviously likes a long top tube.

Anthony, that's fine, not a problem, any info about Kona's you given out is always interesting and I learn some new things at your posts this year. That Kula Supreme is the biggest Kona's I have seen :shock: the rider would benefit having a smaller frame and still have the same seating/handling postion as this one and make it lighter aswell better looking bike, that is a real 'gate' bike! :)

Back