M970 crank removal tool.

Twister

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
My friend has just bought a bike with XTR-970 cranks. He wants to remove them and has worked out it's a special tool.

Does anyone have one they'd be happy to sell or can anyone recommend a cheat without the tool.

Thanks
Matt

Re:

It is possible without the tool apparently:

659201d1323676835-new-makitas-crank-removal-tool-crankset.jpg

Re:

Will that work? The special tool essentially acts as a self extracting collar and iirc is threaded opposite to normal threads.

They normally sell at a silly price for what they are, but I'd recommend using one rather than a bodge, as the crank arm splines are alloy and easily damaged.

When it comes to refitting, be careful as again, if you are slightly out when doing up the bolt, you'll chew the splines and end up with play in the arm that you can't fix.

I use my 19 year old standard Park crank removal tool and my 'bodge bolt'. So far it has worked for splined bb, then hollowtech bb, then FSA cranks, Race Face as well as thoroughly modern road Ultegra and 105.

The Bodge Bolt is King!

It was an emergency bodge when a neighbour came round with a crank to remove that I didnt have the tool for.

I do have the correct bearing tools though, I dont use plumber's grips or molegrips.

Anymore.

Maybe...

legrandefromage":1602x4u0 said:
I use my 19 year old standard Park crank removal tool and my 'bodge bolt'. So far it has worked for splined bb, then hollowtech bb, then FSA cranks, Race Face as well as thoroughly modern road Ultegra and 105.

The Bodge Bolt is King!

It was an emergency bodge when a neighbour came round with a crank to remove that I didnt have the tool for.

I do have the correct bearing tools though, I dont use plumber's grips or molegrips.

Anymore.

Maybe...
Lets have a look. My 970 tool got fridge suck never to be seen again....

Re:

Just to be clear, here's what we're talking about, correct?:

ea4730ea72c5cd33517ca70f4d84e1fed3c5af9c_o.jpg

0498c4683d839fb3bddef5ada9dceb96.jpg

417WtTwtxHL.jpg

Who knows what Shimano were thinking when they came up with this system; one that was completely different to all their other road and MTB cranks for external BB bearings. :roll:

Back