1991 Haro Extreme Comp

shogun

Senior Retro Guru
I've been tinkering away with this for a couple of months, gradually getting closer to rideable.

A mate of mine picked up the somewhat worse for wear remains in this condition. Eons ago it had been stolen and recovered, returning with a coat of cheap silver paint; despite the thief having sanded the rear triangle, the silver seems to have saved the neon and most of the decals. So some acetone revealed the front triangle color...

Haro Extreme Comp 1990 by floody31, on Flickr

So I swapped a spare Selle Italia Super Turbo for the frame as above, minus the Manitou 2. Another mate gave me another Manitou 2, which currently needs going through. I got most of the XT group, and the same mate who I got the carcass from had sourced an original Haro alloy stem and 'powerbend'-esque oversize Haro Superbulge Wingbars.

I popped the fork in with a Tioga headset and borrowed my Prairie Breaker's wheels for an idea how it will look. I was about 2/3 through cleaning off the rear triangle.

I've now got all the paint off that acetone will remove, overall the effect is a bit ratty but that seems to be how my bike collection is going :facepalm: :LOL:
It had no cranks, so I've got some suitably thrashed out black Toplines coming in the next ~week or so, sourcing chainrings for them now. Thinking of using a Profile Racing 'fanned' outer ring, otherwise, just some Shimano rings will do the job. Elastomers for the manitou are a bit challenging.
To this point all I've actually spent money on is the cranks, everything else has been gratefully donated or swapped, and I like it!

Here's some catalogue images I nabbed from the net. Wish I had a Switchblade!

Haro Triagonal frames by floody31, on Flickr

Re: Ragged 1991 Haro Extreme Comp

Small update!

I picked up a cheap and shabby set of Topline cranks on eBay, and they will do nicely. A mate has supplied a set of XT hubbed wheels with Ritchey Vantage and Ambrosio rims, and I scrounged some tired but usable Panaracers from a mate, a big fat Dart S/C 2.2 for the front and a Smoke classic 2.1 for the rear. I like the all black parts theme so I'm hunting for some black XT chainrings. Still no elastomers for the fork sadly; I am beginning to think a Tange Switchblade would be a better call.

1991 Haro Extreme Comp progress by floody31, on Flickr

1991 Haro Extreme Comp progress by floody31, on Flickr

Re: Shabby 1991 Haro Extreme Comp

Nice rescue I've been offered one of these just recently with the chrome forks still considering wether to buy it or not.

Re:

Yeah great looking bike, good work.

al.

Re: Shabby 1991 Haro Extreme Comp

...And it's done! Well...mostly. The front shifter failed catastrophically first ride - seems the attachment bolt was glued in! - and the elastomers are getting shorter every time the fork compresses; those are easily fixed. Everything else works, which is a miracle given a lot of it is original to the bike - including the cables! - and has survived 27 very rough years including being stolen and recovered, left in the elements, stripped and rebuilt.

I found a Manitou 1 near the end of the build so I subbed that in, with the Manitou 2 crown for now until I find a 1-1/8" threaded Manitou 1 crown with a very short steerer.
Build ended up as follows:

Frame: 1991 Haro Extreme Comp 4130

Fork: Answer Manitou 1

Headset: Tioga Avenger OS 1-1/8"
Stem: Haro USA Wing Strut 135mm, 31.8 clamp
Handlebar: Haro USA Wing Bar (powerbend style) 31.8 dia
Grips: Answer Aggressor

Brakes: XT M734/M733
Brake Pads: Unknown, old.
Brake Cables: 2.5mm brake cables
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Shift/brake Levers: ST-M090

Front Derailleur: XT M73x
Rear Derailleur: XT M73x
Derailleur Cables: Mix of original and leftovers
Cassette: HG50
Chain: HG50
Cranks: Topline
Crank Bolts: parts box
Chainrings: Shimano SG
Bottom Bracket: Unknown
Pedals: VP

Hub Skewers: Cheap 90s purple tat
Rims: Ambrosio rear, Ritchey Vantage front
Hubs: XT M730
Nipples: Rusty and crusty
Spokes: Dull
Tyres: Smoke classic 2.1/Dart SC 2.2 black

Saddle: Vetta loungechair style number
Seatpost: Kalloy probably
Seatpost Binder: Cheap 90s purple tat

1991 Haro Extreme Comp finished by floody31, on Flickr

1991 Haro Extreme Comp finished by floody31, on Flickr

Reactions: CTK
Re:

Super build with a great story. How long did it take you to strip the silver off the frame!!!! :shock:
I rode a similar vintage Haro bmx bitd & my first mtb build ran on the same kind of lines with blagged & reclaimed bits. I think it looks super!

Luckily my mate who initially acquired it in the 'before' state had done most of the front triangle, the rest was fairly easy; soak rag in acetone, wrap tube with rag, wipe away paint, repeat. Not all of it came off, but I'm happy with that anyway; I'm not hiding its story.

That said, one day I might refinish it because the bones of the frame are quite good.

shogun":z8rproes said:
Luckily my mate who initially acquired it in the 'before' state had done most of the front triangle, the rest was fairly easy; soak rag in acetone, wrap tube with rag, wipe away paint, repeat. Not all of it came off, but I'm happy with that anyway; I'm not hiding its story.

That said, one day I might refinish it because the bones of the frame are quite good.

If you do fb there's a new group I've started https://www.facebook.com/groups/742059405998102/
please come and join in and share with any other owners you know.

al. :D

Back