Unclean, unclean URGH

I know it is covered in other threads, but it is really difficult to find somewhere to buy a 'quality' kids bike. I fully understand the financial pressures on people - not everyone can afford an Islabike, but there are ways of doing better than some of the crap that is out there.

Suppose what annoyed me was that a 'professional' had told friends not to go to Halfords, but not told them where to go instead - FFS what are they meant to do?

They ended u[p deciding on:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/12591/Freespirit_Tracker_24Inch_Boys_Bike_2008

Could have been worse but would rather have had the GT

Winstanleys bikes = Good prices but total shit customer services when you call in the shop!!!

I have already said in other threads, but my daughter is now showing an interest and great potential in MTBing.

So, very shortly I am going to chuck her P.O.S. Probike and build her a nice retro MTB ;)

Arriving at my gaff shortly is a GT Arrowhead frame from xizang, I already have some Rock Shox Indy SL's from lewis1641 and I have the offer some STX bits from spitoon.

This will be a lovely bike, 100% better than the one she currently has, and I reckon I can build this for less than £100 ;)

You can get for the younsters a bike called Saracen Hoax suitable for 5 to about 10 years old ... I was well impresssed and they go on ebay for £50 odd ?

Harryburgundy":2v4bpqa7 said:
The geezer who I helped yesterday is a nice fella, when he said he was going to buy a bike I said 'whatever you do don't buy a piece of poo from Halfords etc'....what did he do :?: :roll:

I think that most people go to Halfords because of sheer laziness. All they have to do is park the car outside the doors and just walk in to the shop. That plus the fact that most of them are next door to their favourite supermarket.

The other thing that gets me about Halfords is their pricing policy. Some crap Apollo that is being sold for £79.95 reduced from £150! It was only worth £80 in the first place! :evil: :evil: Halfords seem to be the DFS of the bike world. :evil:

The do have the odd nice GT in, and also stock the Boardman range (and I doubt Chris would put his name to sh1t).

We do have to remind ourselves though that 95% of Halfrauds customers will never ride offroad, so dont need 'proper' MTB's.

Pickle":22dif9oh said:
stock the Boardman range (and I doubt Chris would put his name to sh1t).

We've had a couple of those in our shop for repairs. It's a question of nice parts shame about the frame.

One of them cost the customer £1000. It looked really nice with X0 rear mech and XT shifters and such but when you looked at the frame...... You could get a better frame on a £500 Giant

Xesh":3mhsrwjd said:
Harryburgundy":3mhsrwjd said:
The geezer who I helped yesterday is a nice fella, when he said he was going to buy a bike I said 'whatever you do don't buy a piece of poo from Halfords etc'....what did he do :?: :roll:

I think that most people go to Halfords because of sheer laziness. All they have to do is park the car outside the doors and just walk in to the shop. That plus the fact that most of them are next door to their favourite supermarket.

The other thing that gets me about Halfords is their pricing policy. Some crap Apollo that is being sold for £79.95 reduced from £150! It was only worth £80 in the first place! :evil: :evil: Halfords seem to be the DFS of the bike world. :evil:
Ahh, halfords raise the price of a bike that will be in the sale for just a bit longer than legally required, then drop it to just below the original price, making it look like a massive saving.

eg £200 bike, goes upto £300, then in the sale for £150, making it look like 50% off, when it's only 25% off in reality (and still a P.O.S)

halfords do actually stock the odd half decent bike, but most are shite & you're lucky if you get a member of staff who is half interested or actually knows what they're on about.

Andy B":2tme823b said:
Ahh, halfords raise the price of a bike that will be in the sale for just a bit longer than legally required, then drop it to just below the original price, making it look like a massive saving.

eg £200 bike, goes upto £300, then in the sale for £150, making it look like 50% off, when it's only 25% off in reality (and still a P.O.S)

Hence my DFS reference. :)

Xesh":2gf473nv said:
Andy B":2gf473nv said:

Hence my DFS reference. :)
Never used DFS, so I didn't know they did that, although it doesn't surprise me in the least, all the purveyors of finest tat probably do it.

Back