What is 'retro'?

29 and a half :LOL:

As for categorisation... I am a bit anal and like to build bikes as close to what they would have been if well specced new. However I also like to get my bikes muddy and RIDE them so I use modern bits where they count/can't be seen. Look at my Orange, RC36's and Vee brakes aren't exactly retro but they replace things that are not very good (RC35's and Canti's) so I use them. I get away with it because the rest of the bike carries it off so well.
I am going to do the same thing with my RC 200.
It's a bit like classic cars, I see no harm it fitting BMW 850CSi brakes to a BMW M635CSi as they work better, while you're at it may as well use 17" alloys rather than metric TRX's as then you cam use modern tyres. As long as it is tastefull I'm cool with it. BTW will post a pic of my BMW 635CSi when I digitise them.

I ride a retro rig with new school rear brake (up front I have a Magura and it works great), tires, shifters and rear derailleur. I might change shifters and rr mech with old school ones because even old thubies work great, but no purple parts. I would like, but I ride trails I used to ride on my freerider when I had one...

I like my Yeti because it performs well, is fun, is a good training for the upper body and YES, 'cause I've been lusting after one since 1992

errr.......45 (at last count)
retro reason ....at the outset because they were cheap & from a time
when they were stupidly expensive now people throw them away, then you get sucked in
for me it's not so much the exotica but the more main stream stuff that
interests,the sort of bikes you lined up alongside on the start line(well at
the back anyway) and all those cnc'd anodised bits of jewellery i lusted after in glass cases in bike shops
i think things are retro if you were there first time round and you still want them (think hot wheels cars ,choppers,galaxians,635 csi's,wagon wheels, z1 kawas) some of these you can still buy new but there not the same (i remember when you could hide behind a wagon wheel)
how cool would a galaxians table top cabinet be today
shure you can play it on your 50" plasma /ps2 but its not the same
there is part of the human psycology that resists change and i think
this is where the retro apprecation comes from ,clinging to the past in an
uncertain future.
sheesh, that got a bit deep
mike

mikee":3sb49m6a said:
clinging to the past in an
uncertain future.

I've owned one of my retro rides from new, when I was 19.

These days, when I'm at the top of my favourite hill, riding the same bike on trails that I rode 13 years ago, I'm 19 again :) Brilliant.

There is a marked difference between people like me and the 'collectors' who'll pay £410 for a disc wheel. The collectors do it for the kudos, for the shiney bits and the 'look at me' factor. I do it because I was there at the start and I loved it. Riding retro bikes reminds me how much I loved it and how great it was.

:(

Back