What is 'retro'?

jez-2-many-bikes":1v0sai3n said:
To be honest I couldnt think of anthing worse than taking the Attitude, Fat Ti or the Yo and giving it a beating and then covering it in mud. Try to find the replacement parts for those items that do fail/get damaged would be a nightmare.

Maybe back then when the stuff was being produced, yeah - use it and see if it breaks then replace it etc...

...but attempting to ride and use retro boutique bits now just seems a little silly and a quite frankly a waste...

couldnt agree more :D ..hows the curtlo build? ;)

Going well matey. Well actually not going anywhere at the mo.

Frame
Forks
headset spacers

So I need some uber-cheap bits really.

You were right about the paintwork and condition- that helicpter tape stuff has kept the frame immaculate. Im taking it off tho as it will feel like a new bike once its off and thats cool. Love the colour and cant wait to ride chopper style with those forks...lol

U may be right and they may be a littel too long for it but Ill give it a bash anyway.

Well... I use my yeti for training and I trash and bash it. The kit is almost completely old Shimano, so it won't break. If the frame breaks, I will hang it in my garage, but until then, I'll treat my old school bike the same way I treat my racing rig.

Ok Jezz .

I only run the Yeti in good weather , because of tyres and brakes .

But my everyday ride is also retro , a M2 .

I think, and I've been thining about this for some time, that there are basically two groups of retro bikers. Or possibly three.
One group collects bikes and parts purely for the nostalgic value, for the history and maybe even a little kudos in owning a rare part. Bikes are built up for show either using the trickest parts in their immaculate whitewashed garage, or (and this is where the 3rd group comes from) as near as to the original specs as possible.
The other group builds retro bikes to remember the way we used to ride, without all the bells and whistles. The parts may not be as trick, and may even be a bit of a mismatch, but theres a retro spirit in all of them. You could get the same effect buying a £399 rigid inbred but the older parts have more soul about them.
Errm also maybe theres a fourth group that has owned a bike for so long its become retro, then they discover this site and decide to restore it with all the parts they lusted after in there youth.
Oh alright, theres no groups, everyone collects retro for their own reasons. I do it for the purple.

we should have a poll and find out what the average age is here, I think it might be quite revealing, a large part of retro appeal for me is the nostalgia! I'll start: 35

Latest posts

Back