Klein Rascal - winter project

Factory Jackson

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Received an exciting parcel today thanks to Scant (Mike)

Untitled by FactoryJackson, on Flickr

I've always had a niggling 'need' for a Klein in my life. My unicorn bike is an Adroit Gator Fade which one day I'll get (hopefully).

Anyway, this popped up for sale and it's a step towards that Adroit dream.

Built plenty of Marins, GT's and Oranges, so this is my first step in Klein ownership and pitfalls ;)

So, onto the Rascal.

It's pretty beat up. The main 'issue' I guess being the re-welded seat tube hence why it was so affordable. Not too much of a worry as it looks like its been ridden for a while like this, and at the end of the day this is a learning curve project. Must point out that this was done by the previous owner to Scant and he'd not touched it at all.

Oh, and then there's the obvious re-paint, well Powder coat to be precise.

Looks like its been done on the cheap and none of the areas like bb shell, headtube, brake bosses faced off afterwards.

The area around the cable exit hole on the top tube looks pretty rough too. Possible horrors lurking underneath.

The bottom bracket itself is pretty rough, so will have to get that out and new bearings in (any tips?). Some pretty nasty gouges out of the chainstay.

BUT, apart from all that it's not that bad really.

So, what's the plan then?

OPTION 1)

Build up as it is. Take the frame with all it's quirks in its French Post Box yellow glory.

Quick T-cut.

Apply fresh decals which I already have on their way.

For the build I'm thinking along the lines of some straight blade rigids (maybe Project 2's) or some Manitou 3's. Either way going to be a bit more of a challenge due to the 1" headtube.
I've got a good hoard of M900 XTR that is pretty much a complete groupset.
Black Syncros Post, Stem and Bars.
Wheels I have a spare black Ringle front hub, so to find a matching rear. Rims I'm not sure yet, but definitely black.
Tyres probably smoke and dart (though thinking black rather than my usual skinwall route).

Dropped in some forks and wheels to get an idea.

or

Option 2)

Strip all the paint off to see what horrors are lurking underneath.

Repair if/where necessary.

Get a re-spray. It'd have to be a Klein style fade paint job. Either Gator Fade, or save that for an Adroit, and go for Horizon Linear Fade.

And then, go down the build plan in option 1.

Option 3)

Don't even start, put it in the attic, forget I have it, and continue with my Zaskars and RTS's.

Decisions, decisions. Let the fun begin !!

cheers
Chris

Looks like a great starting point. I like patina but I think a Klein deserves good paint so I'd be inclined to strip and start again if it was mine.

They make beautiful bikes :)

:cool: just adding those wheels and post totally transform that frame.

What year is it?

Personally i would have it stripped and repainted, but if funds dont allow, just build it ride and enjoy :)

Mark

Re:

Cool - I was sort of looking at that as well, but too many bikes in the inn!

I would say build, ride as is whilst the weather is manky, see if you enjoy the feel of it...then treat it to a repaint as/when/if funds allow.

I always liked the straight green/black or purple/pink fades on (early versions of) these, with the sort of playing card typeface on the decals. A gently curved spinner fork would be ace and close to the OEM fork, there's a few in 1" about online with a bit of patience.

Will keep an eye on this :)

Hi there!

Very cool project and kind of similar to my current one, being a pinnacle in very rough shape. Mine has no paint whatsoever. And some nasty guy butchered the internal cable guide holes with a set of pliers and his teeth to get a hydraulic cable through. (Your frame was drilled open, too. Did you realise that?)

First thing I would do with that bike is: leaving it as is, build it up and ride for some time. If you like the ride you can decide about the paint.

And then of course, Kleins and paint is a very sensitive topic, so to say. In my opinion 70% of the Klein "charm" is about the paint. But is all about the original paint. Any repaint is no match. Because the modern paint is so different. You will never get "the real deal" by repainting to look like an original. So - I wouldn't do it. At least not today. And not as a replica. Something different or new in therms of paint? Yes. Maybe.
And then, o f course - a good repaint cost more or less the same as a frame with original paint on it. At least the rascals, pinnacles an pulses.

And check the cable stop up front. It may well be drilled out, too. That would be something to fix before painting.

Thanks for the comments all.

Mkone; from what I can gather its a 1993 frame. There is a frame number on the bb shell, but the powder coat is that thick I cant make it out. Maybe oneday, when I strip it, all will be revealed.

Minifreak; thats a lovely build a great to draw inspiration from. I think the forks really suit it. And that paint job :p

Thias, yep, definately agree with you. Unless its done properly by the likes of ETOE, i think it may look a bit naff. And weighing up the cost of a decent paint job, it's worth just getting a frame in the colour I want from the get-go.
Had a read of you Pinnacle thread, nice bike.
Oh, and I checked the front cable stops and they're all sound; phew. The rear brake one actually looks worse in the pictures.

Mynchiboy; I think thats the way its going to go. Get it built, see what it rides like, then can re-paint further down the line.
Not sure on the Spinner forks myself. I think they look a bit 'weedy' for the tubing size of the frame. Just my opinion. Thats why i'm thinking of the front sus route I guess. A bit more meat up front to balance it out visually.

I hate to say it, but the yellow is starting to grow on me.

I gave it a good t-cut and it's come up really nice.
When the decals arrive I think i'm just going to get them fitted and leave it as it is for the foreseeable future.
Bright yellow frame with black components should look pretty nice. Maybe a hint of purple ano.

Just the bottom bracket to sort now....

I totally agree about the fork. Spinners look very original and very skinny...
Some Mag21 would look fine. Or a (black!) RS1 to mach the color scheme? Wouldn't be tc thou...

(Oh, and to about my current project - I dont have a thread about it here on retrobike yet. But I have one on the german forums. Some pictures there, I you want to have a look: https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/ein-seh ... le.852617/ )

About the bb: Is it just rough or do you feel some play already? Mine were quite rough but have no play. So I decided to pull the seals out and clean + regrease the bearings. I won't be doing a whole lot of riding on that bike anyhow. And if I do (or I decide to go down the new paint route...) I can still press in new ones. Its quite the hassle...

Here is a pic of the "bad" side and how it came out after some brake cleaner and oil:

that towel was white and clean before me spraying a good amount of brake cleaner through those ball bearings.

a few drips of oil and it is good for some more miles.

Didn't take a picture of the actual grease. But I did put a lot of it in before refitting the seal.

Cheers for the info Thias.

The bearings weren't that rough, but the axle was way off centre and trying to pursuade it with a hammer has pushing the bearings out anyway.
I want to do this one right, so the best way is get new bearings in there and clean up the bottom bracket area. The other reason is that I'm fitting XTR cranks and the current 125mm axle is the wrong size anyway.

I got the whole unit (bearings and axle to come out on the drive side. Then with the use of a headset removal tool i managed to get the bearing off the axle.
I could then get the other bearing and axle out of the bb shell on the non drive side.

I gave the whole bb shell a good clean up and faced.

As said before, the yellow is really growing on me and with some purple ano I think this maybe the way to go.

Anyway, this is what i'm left with. Gave the axle a bit of a clean.

As mentioned, 125mm is the wrong length for m900 cranks anyway, so on the look out for a 108 axle if anyone has one spare? (i've got a wanted add up).

Also, bit of advise on what cable sleeve to use for the internal routing?
Anyone had better success than others on certain brands?

cheers
Chris

Back