Sticky topic with items we're bidding on?

Ziggy

Senior Retro Guru
Don't know if anyone thinks it'd be a good idea, but how about having a sticky topic in which we can all post just the item numbers of retro bits that we're bidding on / going to bid on?

That way you won't get into a bidding war with someone on here (& you could PM them if someone's after something you're desperate for!). Would be easy to check through the thread, just by searching for the item number.

Thoughts? :)

that would create too many Stickys . just put it on here and say that you are bidding on it .

dont always work though . :cry:

One sticky topic that you just post on when you're bidding on something was the idea... Yes a mod would need to set it up in the first place :)

It is frustrating being out-bid on e-bay, especially by a retro-biker, but at the end of the day if they are willing to pay more for something than you are then why shouldn't they have it?

If I get outbid by someone then fair enough. I think I know what the market value of things are so if somebody wants to pay more, then they are paying over the odds. Thats up to them.

Also, what if you 'warn off' other retro bikers but then get beaten on e-bay by someone else (who isn't a member of this site) that way we've all lost out! There are over 600 users on retrobike whose need for that special part may be just as great as yours, why shouldn't they have a crack at it?

We just need to be nice to each other, be realistic about what things are worth and accept that sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Thats e-bay, its not a shop, its an auction :)

If you lose, ask about, you'll be surprised what turns up.

Example...

Unknowingly, Sticklegs and I were bidding for a Mavic 316 headset a while back, he won. I then bought a Ritchey Logic instead. It turns out that he would have preferred the Logic so we swapped :) By talking to each other we engineered a 'win-win' situation.

Linch me if I am wrong but Thing is,

If someone really wants it they will go for it :!: , even if its a fellow retrobiker they are bidding against.
I mean c'mon we have 500+ members, and you may have a few members that Really want the same piece to finish off a special project.
if its on ebay, it should be free for everyone to bid on it.

granted I have been knocked down the bidding list by retrobikers before and its annoying but thats ebay

plus some of us sell on ebay , we wouldn't get a good price for stuff if we all agreed to not to bid on a retrobikers item would we :?:
:idea: the silly retro prices work both ways sometimes :!:

ka.gif
your thoughts ;)

this is kinda how retrobike forum started. me, jez, peteMcC, bri, roly, neil, grant, webby & zeck in the early days saying dibs if we'd found something we wanted on private mailing list. met jon later, is there enuff demand kinda questions & retrobike was born.

its a nice, polite idea, but in principle it wouldnt work as too many outside bidders.. & re the other thread now the bidders names have been changed to "bidder1, bidder2" etc its impossible to see whos winning/bidding anyway!

Good idea but Scant is right - now that Ebay has introduced its new system it will be a pain in th ass for sure.

Best thing to do is post it in ebay watch and ask if anyone else is bidding.

Then come to a gentlemans agreement, or have a fisty cuffs with yer wallet.

As I said , you can express an interest on here , and see what happens .
600 + members on here , but only a few use the site on a regular basis .

I would not bid against the regulars on here , but would have no worries bidding agaisnt some others .

Just make sure your E-bay ID is nothing like your Forum ID ... that way you can bid without the worry of p*ssing someone off .... ;)

Back