Team Raleigh

OldFrank

Retro Guru
What's the story with Team Raleigh bikes, were they higher end? Was it just marketing?

Secondly, is there a timeline of the Raleigh livery, from the Red yellow black, to Panasonic to banana and so on.

TI 70-83 Panasonic 84-88? Banana 88-90?

In the beginning the Team bikes were the highest end generally 531 and Campagnolo components. In 84' the Team Corsa was 501 and Shimano 105, I believe this carried through to the Banana Corsa models too. The Cadet or earlier Europa ranges where lower end Hi-ten and Huret, SR, equipment.

Even a Europa is worth being snapped up for those on a budget.

It was my first racer bike I had & road to school nearly every day after that.

Re:

Worth getting from the perspective that you’ll never be stuck with it. I love the TI colours and have a Team Replica 12 myself (I think) - I would also like to buy an SBDU 753 model. However, you can get better value and probably quality from other brands. Raleigh prices have cone through the roof for no reason I can discern. Raleigh lightweight unit bikes can also be a bit trick to nail down the model too.

Re: Re:

JSH":33e84ceq said:
Raleigh prices have cone through the roof for no reason I can discern.

Nostalgia

Blokes in their 50s remember their first Raleigh Arena (which was a pretty average bike in its day) and have the money to pay £100+ for an old one, which drives everything else up. Put a 531 badge on a bike of that era and it will sell for more than it did new

My folks had a bike shop when I was growing up and my old 531 Carltons (and my hopeless but highly desirable Purple Chopper) are probably worth more than the bikes I ride today

Back