Marin Indian fire trail - id,restoration and advice sought!!

saxon

Retro Newbie
So having drooled over the early 1990's Marin Indian fire trail for years I was never in a position to afford one back then but I just purchased one for my daughter to ride. She's 5ft 6in and still only 12 so I have high hopes this could build up into a really cool retro steed for her - and yes I plan to have a go on it myself just to scratch the itch!!

Here's what I just purchased - it looks pretty original to me:

I haven't yet taken delivery of the bike so it's hard to assess how much work will be required but first some questions:

1. Is this a 1992 or 1993 Indian fire trail?
2. I do want to add a suspension fork - would a Manitou 2 or 3 be the best option or even a Pace RC35? I presume it has 1 1/8th steerer tube and under 80mm travel would be required?
3. Recommendations and options for frame refurb - I found http://www.colour-tech.co.uk/prices/ who look decent but happy to take other recommendations - failing that it looks like elbow grease and wet and dry for hours is my other option!
4. What's the best way to recolour/re-anodise the purple handlebars and stem?
I'm toying with retro fitting some nice purple hope disc brakes - interested in views.

The bike will not be a museum piece - it will be ridden and enjoyed but I'd welcome views from those who have been there and done that in response to the above!!

Many thanks,

Saxon

Re:

Looks like a '93:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/12573-2/1993.pdf

Although the '94 Rocky Ridge looks really similar:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/1 ... alogue.pdf

If you look under the bottom bracket and post the serial number it's easy to look up.

Working my way though a '94 Palisades Trail restoration at the moment. I've stripped off the a paint with a drill attachment / sandpaper (it's steel not alu)... I think I'd just get it blasted and powder coated if I did it again!

I'm going Gun metal / matt black / silver - but sticking to Marin style (ish).

I'm stripping / etch coat / spraying the various parts... be interested to see how this progresses!

Si

Re:

Good purchase mate.

I would polish best you can, then powder coat fork and stem, good tough finish.
You will like a super shiney look but a lot of grief for a finish that won't last long.

Don't paint it or its no longer.... early 1990's Marin Indian fire trail, as you recall.

It is 1.1/8" head tube. Probably 1993 with non shadow lettering.

Do you need suspension? I say as manitou 1,2,3 etc can be hard to get in good nick and cheap, if it's not gonna be a museum piece. All depends on what you want to do really.

Re:

Looks like a '93 to me - it's lost a few decals, but they should be easy enough to get replacements for.

Re-anodising may be tricky, I'd keep an eye on the classifieds for replacements if the parts are that bad.

Lovely bike and really light :)

Many many thanks to you all for the responses! Sounds like the best option will be to send the frame away for blasting, polish and lacquer. I certainly don't want to paint it at all and want to keep the frame looking like it did when new which I think is polished and clear-coated to prevent tarnishing once it's been polished.

I will get the autosol out myself for all the other components to clean them up as best I can. Think I might keep the original brakes and see how they cope.

Managed to score some purple Manitou 2 suspension forks tonight on here.

I think looking at the remains of the decals it's a 93 IFT - can't wait to get cracking on this now - should be here Saturday.

One question for you guys - I'm going to get replica decals from Gil - who advised to apply transfers over the lacquer - just wondering if you guys agree?

saxon

Re:

Lacquer-wise, you can do either way of the decals.

From experience, i fitted the decals then two-pac (a pro, not me) over the decals to seal them in. The lacquer is cool/ room temp on application so there is no risk of damage.
Rattle can lacquer never worked for me, you need 600 coats and it never really goes hard no matter what you do help that curing process.

Back