Groupset options for Peugeot Competition 500?

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hiya. I'm on here mostly for the MTB stuff retro and a bit more modern. So I know not much about road stuff but I have a thing for Peugeot and Raleigh and other interesting stuff.
I picked up a Peugeot Competition 500 frameset a while back a lovely timeless classic looking Columbus steel thing in great condition in a red wine colour. It was going to be a commuter but most likely a general road bike for bits of rides. I have some new Shimano 501 wheels already, and ended up collecting 8 speed bits. And some shifters I think are 2300 sti. Shifters were the hardest bits to find cheapish The cranks are double tiagra modern external BB 9 speed as is the front mech. I have 8 speed cassette and 8 speed tiagra rear mech. The bits all sort of match as polished and mostly Tiagra.
I picked up ultegra 6500 9 speed mech and cassette for my 4x MTB and wondering if I should go 9 speed or even 10 on this?
I like classic looks of components even the ultegra looks nice but doesn't have to be retro period correct or anything.
It's a slow burner build so anything goes now.

I wanted to know what you enthusiasts would advise.

Cheers.

Personally I'd go 8 or 9 as the shifting gets tetchy at 10 speed.

Mechs are all interchangeable for 7/8/9. Go with whatever speeds the shifters can do.

Thanks. That's good to know. I'd read that elsewhere recently too that they're interchangable. I always thought 9 were different. Perhaps not the mechs then.
So that's 8 or 9 then. I'll have to see what shifters are available and then maybe another nice cassette too or stay cheap as chips with the bits I already have.

I have 10 speed on my most modern MTB only because I got a deal with the frame and wanted to try the clutch business and go without a chain guide.

10 is different to 7/8/9 on MTB, on road it is the same shifting pull per click as 7/8/9 apart from the latest 10 speed Tiagra, which uses the same shift ratios as 11.

Running 10spd on this 1979 frame.

It all works wonderfully - but then I was stupidly lucky and found a bag of 10spd 105/ Ultegra parts at a car-boot sale for the princely sum of £4.

Be careful with front mechs as 9spd and 10spd designated mechs have different reach and wont index.

I have loads of spare mechs if you get stuck!

file.php

Thanks Hamster. Good to know.

LGF, That was an amazing find at a car boot! The bike looks great too still a classic look really just not 70's classic. Smart.

Re the bottom Bracket is it a Threaded BB shell?If yes is it French Thread? again if yes the headset thread will be also

Little Al":3qqztg36 said:
Re the bottom Bracket is it a Threaded BB shell?If yes is it French Thread? again if yes the headset thread will be also

Oh, I'd not even thought about this or tested it yet! Hmm something to test.
It had a headset in at least.
Cheers
:idea:

reanimation":20u2zxwk said:
Little Al":20u2zxwk said:

Cheers

it will be bsa, its not the 1970's

legrandefromage":2kdmf0y9 said:
reanimation":2kdmf0y9 said:
Little Al":2kdmf0y9 said:

Cheers

it will be bsa, its not the 1970's

Phew,

Yeah it's mid 90s

My other roadie is a mid 80s Premiere which isn't even on the back burner, though I did have a job on finding seatpost(s) when it was on the back burner.

Back