Feedback
View
A pretty leftfield bike,

- 11Ants tarANTula XL
- 650B+ wheels with Onyx hubs*
- Pinion drive train P.12
- Gates carbon drive
- Thomson and Hope to top it of

Clean,sustainable, low maintainance bike that rides like a dream. The Onyx/Pinion/Gates combination make for a completely silent ride. No transmission noises, no rattling derailleurs and 100% silent when coasting.

* the Onyx hubs are almost drag fee, 100% silent and 100% direct engagement

p5pb15246307.jpg

p5pb15246312.jpg

p5pb15246310.jpg

p5pb15246309.jpg

Custom drawn "square chainstays" with matching yoke and the "axANTer" eccentric drop-out with intergrated PM

p5pb15246302.jpg

Re: Re:

Timoth27":rvfcs9oh said:
That looks awesome, I’ve not seen a belt drive before how does the gearing work?

Thanks
Tim

https://pinion.eu/en/

Gearing works eccelent, quite similar to Rohloff. When you practise a little bit you can actually shift much faster then with derailleur. You can't shift under big pressure, but when you take the presure of a bit you just turn the gripshift and when you hear "click" the gear is inmediately engaged. So you don't need the extra half a pedalstroke to engage. Also shifting multiple gears goes extremely quick.

Re:

Love this. I'm not lucky enough to have the coin available for a gearbox bike seen as they are still very much 'boutique' at the minute but eventually they will be more mainstream and I will have my own gearbox hardtail! I can see electronic shifting working well with gearboxes to. Seems to make more sense than electronic derailleurs to me.

yo-eddy":1coym132 said:
Timoth27":1coym132 said:
That looks awesome, I’ve not seen a belt drive before how does the gearing work?

Thanks
Tim

https://pinion.eu/en/

Gearing works eccelent, quite similar to Rohloff. When you practise a little bit you can actually shift much faster then with derailleur. You can't shift under big pressure, but when you take the presure of a bit you just turn the gripshift and when you hear "click" the gear is inmediately engaged. So you don't need the extra half a pedalstroke to engage. Also shifting multiple gears goes extremely quick.

Thanks for that, interesting read and I really like the concept. It seems much less vulnerable too.

Timoth27":rorjeq7a said:
Thanks for that, interesting read and I really like the concept. It seems much less vulnerable too.

Hidden from the elements, designed and enginered by guys coming from the transmission departmet of Porsche. Only requires an oil change every 10K or yearly.

Timoth27":16v9r84n said:
Exactly, what is the belt and sprocket lifespan like?

Depending on conditions and how often you clean .... but anywhere in between 5K (use in muddy ofroad conditions) and 25K kilometers ...... and even more on 100% tarmac roads.

Re:

Well that makes a pretty bombproof drivetrain then seems like a genuine step forward in drive train technology to me. Just need to get the cost down in order to make it viable for the mainstream to adopt.

Timoth27":1jbzaqz1 said:
Well that makes a pretty bombproof drivetrain then seems like a genuine step forward in drive train technology to me. Just need to get the cost down in order to make it viable for the mainstream to adopt.

Its not so much the cost of the actual gearbox, currently pinion are the only guys making a viable bicycle gearbox (I think there are others but with nowhere near the manufacturing volume capability of pinion). If bike makers were wanting to adopt the gearbox then they would currently have to adopt pinions mounting cradle as the standard for gearbox mounting. Also gearboxes are heavier than derailleur drivetrains so the arms race for the lightest weight bikes has to stop (which is fine as the extra weight is offset by all the weight being low and central which is where you want it).

Zerode bikes are currently the closest thing to a 'mainstream' gearbox bike maker.

Back