1950's Paris cycles

flysplat

Retro Newbie
I've been given an old frame as a restoration project and I'm trying to identify whether it is what I've been told it is.

I'm told it's a Paris frame from the late 1950's.

I don't have many clues except the frame number on the right of the BB housing. It's 8423 with a 7 stamped below.

The frame appears to have been resprayed as there are no distinguishing decals.

It is steel, luggless, has cable guides below the top tube. Cable guides on the right chainstay but none on the down tube or bottom bracket. There's a bracket that appears to be for a lamp on the right seat stay. There are front and rear mudguard mounts and a screw for lubricating the bottom bracket.

It has a Chater-Lea 617 bottom bracket and a Kuwahara headset. I realise these could be retro-fit.

I realise that it could probably be 1001 different frames from the description but if there are any Paris officianado's there perhaps you can help.

Here's a link to some photo's.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/530bwst1zykg ... 9WKqa?dl=0

Thanks.

Is it a convential diamond Frame if yes it could be a Paris, but a lot of Paris frames had "Non Stanard" frame configuration a Photo would ba help

Re:

Unless the builder put an individual feature its akmost impossible to find who made it.
Hope someone knows the frame number.
Purely from the pics it looks to me more early 1950s, later than 1947, earlier than 1957.

Further thought, Harry Rensch was buiding what we called bronze welded frames by 1937, following continental design.

Keith

Re:

Hi, if a Paris which it probably is, the serial number points to 1951/2, which was at the end of the Paris/Rensch story. If it was earlier it would be an easy identification as Forks, brake bridges, dropouts, etc were all made in house, but by this stage in the story, frames were very much industry standard. The '7' is on some other Paris frames from that era, according to the Rensch and Paris VCC book, so it all matches. Nice frame, Terry

Is that the period when Tom Board was making Paris frames? If so, you should talk to Darren Barber at Phoenix Hotworks.

Z

Re:

Hi, according to the book, Tom Board started as an apprentice at Paris in 1949, and when it failed in 1952 ish, he joined Macleans. Terry

Thanks for the info. Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

I've tried e.mailing Hotworks.

If it is a Paris can anyone tell me or guide me to where I'd find decals/badges and what components it would have had at the time.

Thank you.

Re:

Most likely supplied as frame only, most riders assembled their own bikes from new and existing parts, typically upgrading frame only until able to purchase new wheels.

I was a retailer of frames and parts from 1954.
Keith

Back