New definition of retro

Re:

Don’t disagree LGF but the days of people starting a company for a laugh are well gone. Probably around 93 :xmas-wink:

The vast majority were, continued to and are in it to make money and the way they achieve that is all that gets tweaked. Think of all the bobbins dead ends bitd. Majority dreamt up to make a bike stand out and make money.

I like the difference 29” brings compared to 26” or 650b. 650 to 26” not so much although being a big lad 650b actually works better.

Disc brakes work better, that’s why they get fitted to things. Everyone going mad for cx? Happened before, just coming round again. As with most things.

Re:

As for hope being a bad example I disagree completely. Their hubs are pretty much the go to standard for decent quality wheels. Small company? Compared to Shimano or SRAM for sure but not within the grand scheme of things.

legrandefromage":2t7j42ie said:
English threads and BSA are one and the same - its what the world adopted. Square tapers were the same width with just deeper or shallower taper, usable but not advisable. Threadless was available for 1 inch and 1 1/8 with just a change of the top of the headset to 'convert' - 68/73 was all interchangeable with cup & cone, frame adaptors for BMX BB's, spacers for 1 1/4 head tubes to bring it back to a usable size, press fit bearings were available from other industries so it could all be easily sorted and still can with whats available around you.

The tapered steerer was for carbon, it was needed for carbon - it can not be seen in the same way as aluminium or steel.

Apologies, I meant to post 'BSA threads, Italian threads' or 'English threads, Italian threads' and somehow ended up wholly Anglo.

Realistically most things are practically adaptable in the same ways now.

Taper steerer is a noticeable improvement even on aluminium suspension forks, having had the opportunity to use otherwise identical forks when the technology was in it's nascent phase. If anything steel rigid forks are about the only bad application of it, as they become just too stiff.

Re:

In my book, you have to invest in the 'new' thing, while simultaneously holding on to the 'old' thing, for the 'old' thing to become 'retro'. Much of what gets called 'retro' here- sealed-bearing cartridge BBs (let alone new-fangled outboard bearing types) clipless pedals, V-brakes (let alone disc-brakes), seven-speed cassettes (let alone 8-9-10-11-speed), aluminium frames (let alone titanium/stainless steel/carbon/suspension/whatever)- all of these are still to me amusingly over-complicated novelties that I have yet to use or desire to use .. so I cannot legitimately label any of those things as 'retro'.

Back