Kona Cindercone

MarinMartin

Marin Fan
Ok so here's the story. After a pretty rough last couple of months I've started fixing a few bikes up to help with the bills while I figure out what's happening (gives me something to do as well seeing as though daytime TV is crap and I'm not much of a gamer)

Well basically someone said they have an old Kona I can have for free as it's sat doing nothing. Obviously at this point I was expecting a complete wreck but seeing as though it's 5 minutes away I thought it was worth a look and was greeted with this Cindercone. I'm not going to lie and say it's immaculate but it's a lot better than I was expecting and only needs the brakes and gears adjusting from what I can see at first glance. Gave the guy the £10 I had in my wallet as wasn't expecting anything like this and now I have a cindercone in my possession.

I think I'll be keeping it for a little bit as never owned a pre 97 Kona. Not sure on year but seen a 1991 which looks similar. Although not sure if it's been altered as it has 24 speed and 'accushift' thumbies.

Attachments

• kona.jpg
    kona.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 1,075
  • kona2.jpg
    kona2.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 1,075
Yep, 1991 'cone. I had one - great bikes, and a steal for a tenner

Re:

Yep, very good score there! The bike should be fitted with 7 speed Suntour XC Ltd parts which were more or less comparable with Deore LX, so a well specced machine at the time.

From what I can tell most of the original bits are in fact there - the thumb shifters were original kit and worth hanging on to, as they work well once properly fettled (possibly better than Shimano in fact).

I'll look forward to seeing this cleaned up and in action :)

Very good for the money and worth stripping greasing and riding :) Is the seatpost free moving? looking at it though it doesnt look like it has been left outside to rot

Look forward to seeing more pics

Re:

It's the best colour IMO. The 92 one is only better technically because that built-in seatpost clamp on the 91 frames tends to catch thighs, unless you ride a very small size.

Cinder Cone frames of that era were not light (my 20" 92 frame is about 5 1/2 lb) but they are very well designed and built.

Is it a 20" frame too (measured right to the top of the seat tube extension)? I would have paid around £200 for something like that, but I like early Konas.

Re:

Measured it roughly to top of seat tube and its about 19". Seatpost is free (first thing I checked) and its going to be given a good going over before hitting the trails. Was kept in a garage for years. There is no rust just a few paint scars. Im not worried about weight to be honest. Its going to be thrown around the local trails but will be interesting to see what they ride like.

Re:

Seatpost is usually a weird size on those - 26.6, which shows why they're a bit heavy - 1.7mm wall thickness on the seat tube where the benchmark (531DB) is 0.7mm.

Good score. The '91 Cinder Cone is one of my two 'unicorns' (the other being a white '95 Kilauea with P2s) and in it's even in my size, so I'll admit to being rather jealous!

Back