Early orange Prestige project

randomdan

Retro Guru
Got my winter project sorted, chuffed to bits with what I've just brought for a measly few quid - although I have to say it's not in the best of states, and it's going to be a long road to get it to be as good as I want it to be..

Lets start this out with the "upgrades" :LOL:
20171006120432-d4d69910-me.jpg

20171006120430-dccf4c9a-me.jpg

20171006120428-0df4823e-me.jpg

20171006120425-29e24663-me.jpg

20171006120423-23f47383-me.jpg

20171006120421-2b45b8a1-me.jpg

Re:

As it currently stands... flattering photo as the frame is covered in chips and dinks

I'm thinking this is an early prestige was around. The prestige was certainly in production 1991 but the decal positions are like 1990 clockworks, plus the fork's stamped 04/1990 on the steerer.

I can't see a serial number on the BB.. wonder if it might be elsewhere? Any ideas where to start looking from the experts?

Attachments

• 2017_1006_17382000.jpg
    2017_1006_17382000.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 1,510
Re:

Nice!

My Prestige has the same date stamp on the forks and the frame is stamped (across the BB shell) as December 89. it also has the same decals as yours so I'd guess it's an 89/90 frame you've got there. Strange there's no frame number though, is it there but just filled with paint perhaps?

Hopefully you can get yours finished quicker than my one, still in bits in the spare room :facepalm:

Re:

Cool!
Frame number on my Clockwork is on the seat tube, side, under front mech band.

Re:

Oh, lovely :cool:

89/90 when the seat stay joins the seat tube at that point. Very cool, very early for a prestige. First dibs :facepalm:

Lovely prestige. Great find. Will certainly be an early one, the frame number will most probably be on the seat tube. Cant wait to see it develop. :)

Cheers guys

I'm in the process of stripping down, more time in the garage at the moment as recent hernia op has me off the bike for a month or so :( !

I had a really good look round the seat tube where the front mech is and still can't spot a serial number there - although the suggestion of the serial number being invisible under paint is very possible.

Can't work out which way to go with it, I'm pretty sure it would have been either shimano DX or suntour but the mix is a bit odd and the original wheels have long since departed.

Here's the setup as brought...
Cranks, Headset, Rear brake: 89/90 ish Shimano DX
Front brake: Suntour XC
Pedals and seat: Modern tat
Seatpost: Champagnolo(!), Bars: Unknown heavy chromed cro-mo marked "made in germany".
Rear gears: Suntour XC Pro mech and thumbie
Front gears: Modern thumbie and early 90's XT mech
Brake Levers: 91-93 Shimano XT
Wheels: Rear is random Bontrager on a low-end shimano hub, front is X-ult.. both to be dismantled sawn up into wheelie bin freindly sized peices in the near future.

I'm quite torn between sending the frame off for a full bling refinish or doing some rough touchups with humbrol enamel and keeping it tatty but all original. There are a lot of chips everywhere.. some quite bad.

brocklanders023":3mjis0er said:
Think I have a Mavic 231cd on suntour front wheel available if required?

Thanks for the offer mate... but I'm actually thinking of stripping my 94 clockwork which has some nice XT/231 wheels on XT hubs and then going for full XT with this. That is, once I've decided what I'm doing with the frame :D

Attachments

• prestige-back.JPG
    prestige-back.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,399
  • prestige-BB.JPG
    prestige-BB.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,399
  • prestige-bars.JPG
    prestige-bars.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,399
  • prestige-back2.JPG
    prestige-back2.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 1,399
Diffiicult decision to make whether to go for a whole restoration in regards to paint work, decals etc.. obviously its hard not to strip away its original charm and personality with a whole respray. It does look like it needs a bit of work, but its a wonderful bike, i really like it to be honest. Have been a little bored on retrobike recently, but this has got my blood boiling again and my attention! A full xt set up sounds a good plan to me. :)

Back