Raleigh RSP Titanium 1997 ... nearly finished

I will get up a full list of components soon (as soon as I finish it).

Re. The finish on the frame this was achieved using scotchbrite pads. There are three grades that you can use maroon (course), green (medium) and grey (fine). Because my frame had a very slight pitting in the frame finish (I'm guessing this was because it was originally painted and this helped with paint adhesion?) I started with a course grade to remove any blemishes and then finished with a fine grade.

I found the best result was achieved rubbing the tubes in a perpendicular direction i.e NOT rubbing up and down along the length of the tube but moving along the tubes in sections as if polishing a bowling ball (does that make sense?)

I also found that working on one tube at time helped maintain my sanity and ensure that every part of the bike received the same level of attention.

The cranks weren't NOS but were pretty mint so I didn't have to do any work on them :)

I *think* they moved to painted finishes as the cost involved getting the burnished and polished finishes was quite high. Paint is (relatively) cheap and easy, and covers many sins!

well done feller great looking bike,,,,had a look in local bike shop today which is a place ive not been for ages new bikes just look so crap,,,,,retro for me any day...

Re: Raleigh RSP Titanium 1997

NeilM":2rv9vxwv said:
Very nice indeed.

There is a growing realisation of just how good the 90's Raleigh frames are. For my part, I am slightly ashamed I didn't realise that at the time, and bought American instead. :oops:

Watching this build with interest.

100% true. Lovely bike and one I probably glanced over in the late 90s

Nice.
I have the same frame. Same version of the Torus, I think it's the same year too and mine was painted.

Well done! You have made a lovely job of that it looks mint. Might have to give mine another makeover now after seeing yours.

As a daily M Trax user I always enjoy Raleigh threads, this one has been especially enjoyable. What a great result!

Retro Spud":1yisgsg2 said:
Jeeez that looks so right :cool:

it actually puts the catalogue one to shame in the looks dept.

Last picture is great, have you considdered entering B.O.T.M ?

Glad to see it in B.O.T.M, You've pick one hell of a tuff month to enter,
so far its still getting my vote

Re: Decals

Hi everyone. New to this forum.

Love the RSP Ti built.
I have the exact same frame for the last 17 or so years and 2 full rebuilds with a mish mash of parts. After it's been sat in the shed for the last 6 years I'm gonna rebuild it again with a full XTR group from the late 90's early 00's.I have all the pieces collected over the years.

Anyway it's been a few years since this build and we never found out if the decals were sourced and installed.

Did you get them and where from" I need them too.

Back