The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

I don't do polished wanky audiophile so you gave to settle for thm speak.

It does sound better. There's more silence. It's odd. Not sure how to describe it.

I now have sorbothane between all components and the new cd 7 has arrived. It's as far if not further than I ever thought I'd go with this and I'm extremely happy with the sound. Vocalists often sound as if they're in the room. Acoustic instruments likewise. I'm often astonished by the detail and clarity of records and cds I listened to but not had really heard.

All worthwhile. And on a reasonable budget as largely obsolete kit with careful buying. Whole setup is about £800. Originally around 3k.

Focal chorus 706 speakers
Van damme blue cable.
Cyrus 7 amp and cd7
Arcam rdac
Rega rp1 with elys2' glass platter, rb300 arm, and white belt, thicker felt mat.
Rega a2d phono stage.

Re:

It does sound better. There's more silence. It's odd. Not sure how to describe it.

I know what you mean. And you're now probably well into the territory of diminishing returns. After a certain point, there aren't big leaps to be had, it's all subtle improvements. You also run into the limit of the original recording.

A lot rock and pop really wasn't recorded that well; it was thrown together by people that don't care for people to listen to on a clock radio or as a crummy low bit rate mp3 on a phone. Then there's the "loudness war": http://dynamicrangeday.co.uk/about/.

The only other thing to do is to drop the mains cables down behind the desk on the extension. Needs to be tidier as looking at it makes me twitch a la Dreyfus.

Re:

Have you tried using a PC with USB through the rDac?

Also, are you using the DAC with the CD player, or direct from the player?

Re: Re:

xerxes":1kil9g8a said:
Have you tried ripping a CD to the Mac and comparing it to the CD player?

I've got an IRDAC, the next gen on from the RDAC. I ripped all my CDs to FLAC after doing a few tests and finding it was indistinguishable.

I've had a few good CD players in my time too (most notably a meridian 200/263) and i'd stand the IRDAC against that any time.

Back