1937 SCHWINN EXCELSIOR X - NICKEL PLATED - GARY FISHER CLONE

Re:

thanks guys for the positive comments!

My fiancee, who has put up with this build for the past 2 years was very happy to take it for the first ride ever after a quick front brake jury rig... the verdict is "its awesome"..this will be her bike...(mostly)

Unfortunately I now have to rip it all apart to be blasted and nickel plated for the third time!...hopefully three times a charm!!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 997
Re:

I know I have said his before but I feel I am really on the home stretch now. The frame was blasted and plated (4th time plating it...)

I am happy with the results. like Garys, you can still see the blast texture through the plating. It will take a few years to dull down but that's fine with me!

Basically the only thing I have left is to swap the crank arms for faded black ano ones and get the elusive cinelli milano headset spacer..and wiring..the saga continues..

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 909
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 909
Re:

Bumping this out of the dust as I've just loaded my Clunker into the van ready for Retro Revolution at Coed y Brenin on Saturday
I forget how nice they are to ride, tonnes of soul

Very cool build indeed. I recently picked up a Gary Fisher Klunker in very nice shape with all the original parts. Been looking for one for quite some time and finally found one. Have a question or two about the frame style, specifically the bike in photo03.jpg (first page). The same photo is in the book Fat Tire Flyer, the caption mentions "One of Gary's 1940s Schwinns at the far end of the klunkers evolutionary scale: ". In reading the book it mentions that the model DX was the preferred bike to use for a klunker build, as it had the a higher bottom bracket than other models. From what I've read online, the DX model always has a curved middle tube, depending upon the years the dx may have either a straight or curved downtube.
So is the Gary Fisher Klunker replica in fact based on the C model or something else ? I've seen some sources refer to it as a model DX which doesn't seem to be correct. Would appreciate any clarification on the subject.

Back