light bike for young cyclist

pondweed

Old School Hero
What do you lots do for kids bikes? Islabikes are hideously expensive, but I have a 7 year old on a 1980s grifter type thing with 5 gears which is incredibly heavy. As he's obviously going to be a cyclist, I'd like to get him something else, but I'm equally aware that kids grow out of things so quickly!

Has anyone got anything, or any bright ideas, for a road cyclist of 7 or 8... that wouldnt break the bank?

Re:

we've got a couple of Islabikes and they are very well made and great for kids, granted they are expensive but have a look in ebay, the residual value is outstanding. If you are looking for something else my eldest (now 9) has a Frog bike, I was really impressed by the package, two sets of tyres and a pair of mudgaurds and a touch up bottle. Still not cheap but better value. If its cheaper again, have a look at Decathlon, I've heard of a few people being impressed with their bikes, now we did buy one from there and it was a waste of money, weighed an absolute ton but I do believe they have some decent stuff in the range. I've also heard about Wiggins and Hoy bikes, no doubt a bit of brand exercising but should be decent enough. And Evans have the pinnacle range, again no experience but they adult stuff is highly regarded .

Ok, Moda made a 20 inch wheel bike, eBay for that, then the 24" wheel then the 650c size. We have a Moda 650c for my 10 year old daughter and a B'Twin triban 3 for my 12 year old. The latter has carbon forks and triple Chainset. I would go for a Moda, just really nice for the 7 year old, then the B'Twin, they can be had for £100 or so, but expect to pay £200 for a 20" wheel Moda as not so many about.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODA-Minor-20 ... SwIdpZvrt0

May be too late!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
We built a hybrid type thing using a Saracen MAD alloy frame and skinny 26" tyres. Came in pretty light with a good turn of speed. Not the prettiest though....

Get a secondhand Islabike; you will get your money back when you sell.
In fact of the 5 Islas we have got through over the years with 2 boys, we sold two on at a profit.

some great ideas thanks. That moda got relisted - (its so cute!)

Interesting to find a few other 20" wheel alloy frames (Trek etc) held back by naff heavy front forks. Was wondering if I could use them off an older bike, or indeed if anyone makes any decent small rigid forks cheaply. Perhaps Islabikes do.

My head agrees about Islabikes but the prospect of theft and being left outside - and paying more than I do for my bike - makes me baulk!

I think the problem with the outright road bikes is that they arent going to be able to use it for all their cycling - i.e. the social stuff with other kids in the woods. And as they are only going to be used for say 18 months, I'd also baulk at having TWO bikes.

hamster":7w1qrl0w said:
Get a secondhand Islabike; you will get your money back when you sell.
In fact of the 5 Islas we have got through over the years with 2 boys, we sold two on at a profit.

100% true in our case too, plus they are so much easier to handle for kids due to their very light weight and bespoke small hands designed light action parts.

If your looking for a road frame like the Moda that your happy to build then there is always this:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXGIOV/ ... al-headset
at PlanetX. They are great frames made to take modern equip.
They are only listing the 26" wheel version but if you look at the specs they do a 16 and a 20 as well. I picked one up for my son the Christmas before last when they had them for sale at £9.99! He couldn't even ride then but it's sat in the loft waiting. It is a very well made Italian aluminium frame and fork, that takes standard fitting components.
Maybe not quite what your looking for but another quiver to the arrow.

Jamie

Back