Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:02 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Re: TV: Fire, Now etc
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:15 am 
GOLD | PoTM | Rider | rBOTM
GOLD | PoTM | Rider | rBOTM

Bt infinity here. Made a few holes so mac has ethernet but wifi for tablets and phones has been excellent. Combine that with a fire stick and freesat and it's really all you need

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:10 pm 
Retro Guru

Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
Ten years back, we moved into an area where fibre optic cable was laid, so Virgin was the obvious choice and BT was too costly to be reinstated. Now, we only ever watch 'TV' content on the iMac so don't need any boxes or tellies or packages or any other devices. However, we still need to fork out for the TV license so we can watch the occasional bit of weekly satire and special historical or music documentary series that pop up from time to time, on iPlayer. Really, the Beeb's model is so behind times and has outstayed its welcome. I appreciate why you need a license say to be allowed to drive vehicles on the road but to have one to watch televisual content and also be threatened with criminalisation if you don't have a TV license?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:45 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner

£20 odd a month for Plusnet inc landline, boggo standard smart tv with a few built in apps for iPlayer, itv, Netflix and co, but to be honest, 90% of watching stuff is on kodi on the tablet and cast to the tv

Hell will freeze over before Murdoch and Branson gets a penny off me, and i dont need anything else in the way of packages, so that does me fine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:06 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Just Freesat and Freeview here. (though we do have amazon, it was for other reasons but watch the odd thing every now and again, wouldn't pay just for Amazon Video though.)

Can record from them and stream the usual SmartTV ondemand affairs on the TV's, Amazon fire stick.

Personally I don't mind the BBC charge, I watch the BBC and C4 and their channels.
I do despise itv and it's 64thousand other repeat/reality stations and the way C5 and its channels repeat what they have just said every 5 mins as if you are brain dead.

As for broadband, we have no choice and the cheapest is as much as your packages. (£20/month for 10G allowence, ADSL2 or £35/month 35G 50/10Mbps FTTH)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:09 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Anyway, go cold turkey, use Freeview/Freesat and basic Smart stuff. See how it goes and what you miss.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:25 pm 
Retro Guru

Roku box for iplayer and All4 player (c4) and Amazon Prime Video and Play rentals.

Occasional 2-3 month subs on NowTV (for GoT) and Netflix (for Expanse) on their Roku apps.

Unused Virgin box coz the Telly with BB deal was cheaper than BB alone.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:33 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Interesting thread, I'm currently trying to convince Mrs that we don't need Sky TV (the cost seems excessive) as neither of really watches much of the actual TV, it's mostly channels that we could get on freeview or stuff we cast to the TV screen from tablet/phone.

Thinking of just getting a Broadband deal and an Android TV box, it's just it seems a bit of a minefield when choosing an Android TV box?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:03 pm 
Retro Guru

A Roku box is pretty much the same thing but without the minefield.

You can also get it rebranded as the NowTV box for peanuts if you cancel the sky subscription during trial period.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:20 pm 
Retro Guru

I watched enough TV in the 60's and 70's to last my lifetime. Colossal waste of time. I haven't had a TV for over 15 years now, and I think I'm better off as a result. Unless it was for a LOT of money, you couldn't PAY me to watch TV.

That said, whenever I'm on travel and get to a hotel room, I'm like a crack addict when I see that big TV in the room. I end up staying up late and regretting it the next day. :facepalm: More advertisements than show content. Grrr! :x Fooled again!

Radio (while driving) and internet is good enough for me, with the occasional DVD movie on the weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:52 am 

It kind of depends on what you like to watch. I don't like normal TV and prefer to dip in and out of things. Amazon Fire is perfect for this. It fits in with my my Amazon Prime Membership too and so after the initial purchase, it is only £80 a year I also combine with Netflix.

My partner however loves what call crap TV (X Factor etc), plus Virgin Media has the best broadband (required for Amazon Fire). So I have stuck with Virgin media too.

There is a 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime here - http://amzn.to/2wcFwZM or you can do just Amazon video (I don't know why you would - http://amzn.to/2xq9nzk

Oh, the best thing about Fire TV is being able t otalk to your TV - It blew my Dads mind!