Middleburn Cranks keep coming loose

seanfish

Dirt Disciple
Ive got a set of Middleburn RS1 Cranks on my MTB that I just bought. However they just keep on coming loose.

Do I require anything special when using thsese cranks?

I think the taper has gone on the cranks as it look worn but the seller says that it might be due to the type of spindle?

Hope you guys can help?

seanfish":2u5zljrc said:
Ive got a set of Middleburn RS1 Cranks on my MTB that I just bought. However they just keep on coming loose.

I think the taper has gone on the cranks as it look worn but the seller says that it might be due to the type of spindle?

Hope you guys can help?

Get some pics up but sounds like they are most likely worn. I'd be after a full refund including postage costs to send them back.

Minifreak":38kgse8g said:
seanfish":38kgse8g said:

Hope you guys can help?

Get some pics up but sounds like they are most likely worn. I'd be after a full refund including postage costs to send them back.

So you dont think chnge of BB is gonna help, i am reluctant to spend more money and find out theyre still fu*ked..

seanfish":l7vs0qox said:
Minifreak":l7vs0qox said:
seanfish":l7vs0qox said:

Hope you guys can help?

So you dont think chnge of BB is gonna help, i am reluctant to spend more money and find out theyre still fu*ked..

Very unlikely a steel BB axel is the culprit, much more likely the alloy crank square is fucked. It'll never work if it is and over tightening will just make it worse. Get a refund buddy and find some more but check before you buy.

Re:

What BB are you using? There are 2 types of square taper and using the wrong one can lead to the crank arm not being properly secured. If you're using shimano un71 etc though then it's almost definitely the cranks that are worn.

Re:

You will laugh, but it can usually be sorted by making 4 little shims from coke cans. These sit in between each face of the BB and the taper on the crank. Once secured they rarely come lose again.
I've run a set of M900 cranks like that since about 2003!

Re:

Check the crank bolts.
Are you using bolts that cover the complete inner of the crankarm holes? If not, there could be the problem. I used titanium bolts on m900 cranks and the bolts didn't cover all of the crankarm hole. The crankarms came loose again and again. I replaced the bolts with steel Shimano bolts that covered the complete crankarm hole, and they never came loose again.

Re: Re:

Remko":2hbex23t said:
Check the crank bolts.
Are you using bolts that cover the complete inner of the crankarm holes? If not, there could be the problem. I used titanium bolts on m900 cranks and the bolts didn't cover all of the crankarm hole. The crankarms came loose again and again. I replaced the bolts with steel Shimano bolts that covered the complete crankarm hole, and they never came loose again.

Mine kept coming loose and it was the crab bolts ....

I didn't lose any friend on the sportive I was riding but I came very close.

Back