9 speed threaded freewheel

SimonJC

Devout Dirtbag
I have been offered the use of a bike by some good friends which has a Campagnolo 9 speed transmission, but the rear wheel has a 7 speed threaded block which surprisingly works really well (I think the rear mech lower adjustment is screwed right up so two gears are effectively removed). I would like to give the bike a good overhaul, it needs a new chain and I have been wondering about the rear block; as usual with these things I am expecting to have to change the rear block as well. With looking around to see what is available I have discovered that there is such a thing as a nine speed freewheel; I though eight was the limit?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/freewheels/ ... 132t28323/

Has anyone used one? I have read that using this would put a strain on the rear axle?

9 and 8 speed shimano cassettes are the same width, just the sprockets are closer together, so there's no reason it wouldn't be possible to make such a thing. I have to wonder why they did though....

They cram it into the space by overhanging it on the inside I think.

Campag 9 speed is not the same cog spacing as Shimano, so you will not get perfect indexing.

Personally I'd get a new back wheel and do the job properly. Freewheels are inferior to cassette hubs in many ways.

Try 8 speed block on it maybe. Never seen a 9 speed freewheel. As they added more sprockets the over hang got bigger and the axle weaker. I am sure that some where on the WWW I have seen 10 speed freewheels mentioned but assume that this was just someone mixing up the terms cassette and freewheel.

Apart from the indexing, I'd be surprised if a 9 speed road mech can cope with a 32t bottom sprocket and you'd have to consider the overall capacity.

Sunrace also do a 10 speed freewheel
ce 10 Speed E-Bike Freewheel – 11/36T £79.99

2 types of 9 speed starting at £26.99
They are listed as E-Bike

Thanks for the replies people, however I have located a spare wheel with a freehub so I will use that. I am going to see if I can use the existing wheel on another bike :) result!

ScillySuffolk":3b2v29bd said:
Apart from the indexing, I'd be surprised if a 9 speed road mech can cope with a 32t bottom sprocket and you'd have to consider the overall capacity.

Most road rear mechs only just cope with 28 tooth inner sprocket the more sprockets with screw on freewheels the more drive side bearing over hang & wheel dish offset is required in either case less is better

Back