1986 Bob Jackson 531c, finished ! !

Re:

Jamie,

I was thinking two tone fade. Not sure if that would sit well with an older frame though. Or aero levers.

HELP!

Mike

Re:

Really that old?!
That frame is weird- Taken together, the serial number (if BJ), the transfers, and the top tube cable guides suggest: (circa)1987, but just about everything else- nutted brakes, over bracket cables, long ends, lack of bottle cage bosses or lever bosses- says: (circa) 1974. So chances are it was a 'retro' frame from inception.. commissioned in the late '80s by someone who was attached- either by emotion or componentry or both- to the '70s. That is my theory, anyway. Unless the frame is genuinely 1970s, and someone stamped a '1' in front of the serial number later, then got the frame re-finished. (8831 would be about right for an early-mid '70s BJ, afaik).

Re:

I'm thinking the tricolour Ultegra groupset is way too new then. I do like shininess on a bike, so maybe I should start looking for older components for the build.

It will be all new to me! Now, where can I get help with that? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I like the look of earlier Shimano, early Dura-Ace (expensive?) and 600 Arabesque ( not so expensive?) Anything else to consider? I don't do Campag, but would the older stuff be cheaper than older Shimano? Would it work better, or not?

Long drop calipers, or 27" wheels?

Offered up a 700c and a short drop brake, and it was just to short, pads touching the top of the rim, so I guess long drop would suit.

SO MANY QUESTIONS!

Mike

Re:

In my experience you have two choices; retromod where you fit whatever you like, or age related where you pester the living daylights out of Shaun.

I have done both. :mrgreen:

Re:

Would an older band on Shimano shifter have enough to pull the chain across eight sprockets? It would mean not having to put shifter bosses on it then.

Mike

Re:

I used Mavic retrofrictions on an 8 speed Maillard freewheel, in the mid 80's worked okay for this old dinosaur ;)

Re: Bob Jackson 531c

Jamiedyer":1qw2jvbh said:
What is the rear spacing?

Jamie

126mm. The wheel fits in, it's whether an older band on type shifter would go around far enough.

Re: Re:

NeilM":4uagw8ij said:
In my experience you have two choices; retromod where you fit whatever you like, or age related where you pester the living daylights out of Shaun.

I have done both. :mrgreen:

Brace yourself Shaun! Lol!

Going to go down a path never taken for me. Decided to build the bike up with stuff I know nothing about, before my cycling era. Shimano arabesque. So if anyone has spare parts or can offer advice on what's good or what to look for or avoid, please let me know.

Mike

Back